1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best news sites to avoid spoilers in headlines?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jrtroo, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Ok- it happened again.

MSNBC has spilled the beans for me three weeks in a row for American Idol, so starting last Monday I deleted my ios and android apps and killed my shortcut in chrome.

Are there any other news sites which I should avoid using that do this? I did not see any recent thread topics that were helpful, though I did not search in detail for fear of spilling more beans. (CNN seems to be ok, but tribune sometimes does this as well)

Thanks!

2. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I have no idea I just stopped caring about spoilers...it is the journey not the destination.

Plus this helped:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k[/media]

3. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Could you use RSS readers for news sites.

No idea if the spoiler would be in the headline in an article in there.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I use Pulse all the time, and the spoiler headlines for msnbc have appeared there. I'll need to remove msnbc from that source as well.

5. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Or how about sites that speacilize in TV information? They seem to do well to guard against spoilers.

TVLine
    E!
    EW Inside TV

6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Heck, I had to pause my CNN background-noise-as-I-couldn't-sleep because they were going to do an Idol thing about Lopez apparently freaking out (spoiler I guess).

7. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Get news feeds from BBC, Al Jazeera or that Russian news site. BBC and Al Jazeera are better because the Russian news site covers too much Eastern Europe while the other two cover Western Europe,the Americas, West Asia and Africa more. (Al Jazeera in English has so many BBC reporters working for it, it is not much different than BBC)

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Interesting. I was initially looking for domestic news sources. But going international is a good approach, as is going with entertainment (for those sites where things are kept under wraps).

Thanks!

9. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I remember seeing a photo of this large homeless encampment near Sacramento. I had never read or heard the story and I read a large meteropotan newspaper. The foreign news covered it. It was a Hooverville of people who had lost their homes. Many were middle class. This is what the foreign news covers. BBC and Al Jazeera seem to be pretty unbiased. I am not so certain about RT.

10. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    LOL!! I thought you were kidding by suggesting Al Jazeera and the Russian news site. LOL!!

To the OP, why don't you send a copy of this thread to MSNBC? I'm sure it will get somebody's attention there, and they should know that your concern is likely shared by thousands (or more) of other subscribers, and that the potential loss of your eyes (and potential ad clicks) on their website affects their bottom line.

Their headline writers should write TEASERS into their headlines, not SPOILERS. And they should give a warning within the article before announcing the spoiler.

11. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I don't have an answer for you, but Yahoo does the same thing. I'm constantly thankful I don't watch Idol for that very reason. "Another contestant eliminated" isn't bad, but when it says, "American Idol loses Bob Jones", that's going a bit far.

Spoilers got so bad during the run of Lost that I just didn't visit news sites the day it aired. Living on the west coast, I'd be spoiled for episodes around 5:30pm.

Greg

12. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I'll probably do that in a few days in hopes of showing off a longer thread. Perhaps I should send something to Fox as well? :)

I did already send a message to MSNBC telling them that many of us DVR users don't want to have our shows ruined, and unfortunately that has caused me to delete my msnbc apps. Unsurprisingly, I received no reply.

13. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I suggested BBC, Al Jazeerah and RT because they may or may not be objective (though they seem to be more so than many American news sites) and they don't care about stupid celebrety news. I suspect Deutsche Welle has a website news feed also.

14. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    No they're pretty bad... On EW and TVLine I've seen them put "YOU WON"T BELIEVE WHO WAS KILLED ON (SHOW) LAST NIGHT!!!" with a big ass picture of the character... It's funny because they have a little intro blurb saying "Don't click if you don't want to know!!". It makes no sense. TV Guide does it too...

I get that the rules are a little blurry when it comes to something that has aired, I personally don't really see how hard it is for a site to not include certain things in a headline. Obviously talk about it, but what is the hardship in the above scenario to just put say a cast photo on the home page and not a picture or text saying what happened right there.

With reality shows like Idol, I guess it's a little different because it's considered a live event and so it gets discussed differently I guess. I still don't see what's hard about putting a headline "Who was voted off idol last night" or Shocking elimination on Idol, click for more" etc.

To me the whole thing comes down to the fact that the way we watch TV now is simply different than it was in the past, so it's not unreasonable to think some of the way it's covered should change to keep up with that. It's not 20 years ago where something aired and you caught it or you didn't... There's such a huge population of people that don't watch TV when it airs that they really need to start keeping up with that, plain and simple.