1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Netflix platform - TIVO, Apple, Blu Ray

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by XIBM, Mar 31, 2014.

1. XIBM

XIBM New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    What is the best platform for streaming Netflix? Tivo, Apple TV or Sony Blu-Ray
  2. consumedsoul

consumedsoul New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    between tivo and atv, seems like atv has better quality streaming most of the time. sony not sure, haven't used before.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I prefer the Tivo since my TV is on the Tivo's input 99% of the time.
  4. csweeny

csweeny TIVO Junkie

Jun 9, 2004
    I don't have atv but I use both a Tivo and a Sony Blu-Ray for streaming Netflix and Tivo wins hands down. In fact the Sony Blu-Ray has issues (documented on Sony forum's) were streaming is inteurrupted about 25% of the time I try and use it. I did get a SW upgrade a few weeks ago and it's gotten better.
  5. --Scott--

--Scott-- New Member

Feb 24, 2014
    I have used an Apple TV for many years as my primary interface for video content, including Netflix. I was always a huge fan of the ATV Netflix UI...until I purchased my Roamio Plus a month ago. This is my first Tivo and it has a much nicer UI for Netflix than the ATV. Like the other poster it's also more convenient to use since the Tivo is my primary input.
  6. NJ_HB

Mar 21, 2007
    You did not mention Roku but it is absolutely fantastic. It is very easy to navigate forward and backwards through a program. I use it for Netflix and Amazon streaming. Unlike TiVo if you have a Amazon Prime sub you can get the content to the Roku.
  7. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I don't have ATV, but prefer both the Sony netflix on the bdp-s370 and bdp-s580. Both have dlna capability and allow me to watch Amazon Prime Streaming Instant Videos. These days I mainly watch netflix and amazon directly from the smarthub on my samsung tv as it's more convenient.
  8. Igor

Igor New Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Having used both TiVo and AppleTV, I have now moved to Chromecast. The latter seems to be the best in terms of quality and interface (full control from phone or tablet!).
  9. sharkster

sharkster Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    I've only used Tivo, Sony Blu-ray, and Roku3.

I would say that the Tivo Netflix is less than acceptable. I've done well on my Sony Blu-ray and totally love using Netflix through my Roku3 (especially with the earbuds that plug into the remote).

Through the Roku3, it's seamless. I had stopping and buffering problems watching Netflix through my Tivos. I just thought it was because I have DSL and not the much faster cable internet. Well, none of those problems with the Roku3 or with the Blu-ray player, so I had to conclude that it was the Tivo that was the problem.
  10. alleybj

alleybj New Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    I have Tivo and AppleTV, and although I prefer the Tivo interface, the AppleTV picture quality is much, much better-- you can see the pores in Robin Wright's face.
  11. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    I prefer using TiVo as well, but it can cause the TiVo to reboot occasionally so using it while there are scheduled recordings is not a good idea.
  12. bacevedo

bacevedo Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Chandler, AZ
    I agree with this. The Roku3 is the best streaming device I have ever used, hands down. We only fire up the TiVo to watch the occasional recorded or live program.

Most of the time, we use Plex on the Roku to watch what we would have recorded OTA on the TiVo.

Most of our viewing is done via Netflix or Amazon Instant Prime. The only reason I still have the TiVo is because they offered me $99 lifetime when I called to cancel it.
  13. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    +1 Roku is great. I love the remote too!
  14. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I love my Sony BDP-S5100 bd player. It has a nice interface (much faster than my Premiere too) and streams very well with great pq. And I use the dlna capability to watch Tivo recordings. Auto downloads with Tivo Desktop and conversion with kmttg!
  15. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    I agree with the Roku as it seems to be the fastest at navigation and it has a lot of applications that the others don't such as Amazon Instant Video and Vudu.
  16. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Having netflix on my TiVo, Apple TV and Sony Blu-ray Payer I have tried all 3 sources.

I have to say my Apple TV is the best in both interface and streaming quality.

My TiVo Premiere, no mater would I do will not do the 1080p passthrough so super HD is out of the question. And it likes at least once during a movie go to a black screen then dump me out of of the movie. I have to go back in and resume playback.

My Blu-ray Player, I don't know, even though it's streaming the Super HD 1080p, on my 51" plasma screen you can tell the video is a streaming video. It's got that blocky look to it if you look at it up close where the colors in the blocks are slightly off form the block next to it. I don't get that on my Apple TV at all.
  17. sharkster

sharkster Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    So, is anybody getting the new Amazon branded unit? ETA - just looked up name again. It's called Amazon Fire TV. On the product page there is a comparison chart.

I have two of the Roku3 units and am super happy with them but am looking forward to seeing the reviews come in on this new one.
  18. kherr

kherr New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    I vote for Roku3 also .....
  19. tivoboy

tivoboy New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    +1 Roku. Chromecast is just too limited to make much sense at this point.

ATV is nice if you're in the the apple ecosystem with a lot of stuff, but honestly for movie streaming the best app/service is VUDU hands down. ATV just buffers too much on HD movies. Same with Amazon. I won't buy any streaming solution that doesn't offer VUDU rentals.
  20. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    My apple TV has never buffered on HD movies. They start the second I click play and play in their entirety without buffering. So I would have to say that it's most likely it's a internet connection issue for you.

Yeah, the Apple TV doesn't have VUDU rentals, but you can rent anything from the iTunes store, or rent it from the VUDU APP on your iPad and air play it to your tv.