1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best learning remote for a TiVo (Premiere)?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by chrispitude, Sep 20, 2011.

1. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 46" Westinghouse LCD-LED TV (LD-4655VX). It was on sale for $599 from $799. What a deal! Well, it wasn't really a deal, because it's likely going to cause me to spend more money.

I have the TiVo Glo premium remote, which is the learning Premiere remote. However, I can't get this remote to turn my Westinghouse TV on and off. It will control the volume, but it refuses to control power - either by entering the Westinghouse code, or by using the learning function. It's as if the Glo remote is simply incapable of understanding or sending this remote signal. I used a digital camera's viewfinder as an IR detector and I can confirm that the Glo is indeed sending some IR code when I hit the TV power button, but nothing happens.

So, I may need to buy a third-party learning remote. What is considered to be the most TiVo-friendly learning remote these days? Harmony has a number of remote options - is there one that is more TiVo-ish than the others?

I have a Denon AVR-2112CI receiver with its own remote... that one doesn't even have a code for a Westinghouse, nor does its remote have a learning function! So, whatever learning remote I get would be replacing three remotes (TiVo, TV, receiver).

The irony in all this is, would my cheapest and easiest solution be to sell this TV and buy another brand? Ah, the joys of technology. :)

2. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I use a Harmony One remote. With it I control a Toshiba tv Yamaha receiver amp and 2 tivo's and a x10 light controller.

3. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Thanks Caddy! Wow, that's a nice looking remote. Did you find that it offered complete coverage of all TiVo remote buttons, or were you left with any missing functions (skip backwards, jump to end, slo-mo, etc.)?

- Chris

4. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I have not notice any thing but I do not use every command button.

5. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Harmony remotes (all of them) come with practically all the buttons in. However, if there's one you can't find, you can always teach it to the Harmony. I think for TiVo they have all - they get the Pronto control codes and add it to their database. (the database often has discrete codes for many devices).

It's quite a slick system they have - it beats all the other universal remotes I've seen quite handily. The downside is it requires a computer with internet to configure, but the upside is well, it's always up to date with the latest remote codes (and discretes, too!), and clicking through the program is far simpler than putting the remote into setup mode, pressing a few code keys, then testing to see if it works before trying another, etc.

6. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have the Harmony One for two rooms but recently purchased a Harmony 650 with Logitech 50% off coupon and if only 5 devices or less are needed, I think it is a good and far less expensive option.

7. ascuser

ascuser New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I use a Sony RM-VL600. It's not fancy and has no touchscreen or display of any kind, but it supports 8 functions, is a learning remote, lets you remap every button if you so desire, the batteries last forever, and you can buy it for somewhere around $25.

8. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I use a Hamony 1, before that a Harmony 670. It controls my Sony TV, Yamaha reciever, BRP, HDDVD, TiVo and FiOS DVR also my ceiling fan and old PS2.
    They are programable and customizable. They can be found on sale at Best Buy, Amazon and also at eBay. They tend to be pricey. The 670 didnt have the bells a whistles the Harmony 1 does but the H-1 works great and is reachargable.

9. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm also using a Harmony One. Before that I used a Harmony 880. The Logitech Harmony remotes seem to be the favorite among A/V enthusiasts as they are easy to set up and use and have a huge library of remote codes for just about any device you'd want to control.

The downside of the Harmony One is that it can be a bit pricey (about $250 retail but typically on sale for about $150 with refurbished uints selling for as low as $100).

Logitech just announced the Harmony Link, which uses Wi-Fi and an app that lets your smart phone or iPad work just like a universal remote. Here's a link to the Logitech website for the Link:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/for-ipad/devices/harmony-link

10. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    yea right, $100 for an Android app, cant blame a guy for trying :p

11. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The app is free. The $100 is for the Harmony Link Wi-Fi interface. Next time try reading the info posted in the link.

12. randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...
    I use an old-school URC MX-500 which is a full-on learning remote (learns every function from the original remote). Mine controls every function on all ten of my components. I have also set up several of my friends with this remote when they didn't want to program their remote from the PC (like the Harmony).

It may be discontinued, but it still exists in the form of the NXG NX-RM505 which i found on EBay last year and it's basically a re-badged MX-500. I was able to clone it from my MX-500 and aside from the name on a few keys it's identical and works just as perfectly. I have since bought a spare for another room, and a few spares to stash away for the future, one of which is a "B-stock" unit with a blemish in the LCD screen light (which i never use anyway) - currently on EBay as item # 230553138199.

13. jtreid

jtreid New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Harmony remotes are way expensive and way too complex for what you do 99% of the time which is Tivo menu navigation, volume control, power on/off, channel change, tuner change etc.

The One-For-All 8-in-1 learning remote was $14 the last time I bought it on Amazon. It's highly configurable. It can learn. It is super-duper tough. It's been knocked of the arm of the couch a bazillion times on to hardwood. My daughter knocks hers out of bed every night on to a hardwood floor. I own 3 and one is a replacement because somebody spilled sticky on the previous.

Pair this with the NextGeneration IR-to-RF system and you have (IMHO) an unbeatable remote that the whole (read wife) can use.

14. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Personally I prefer the URC remotes. Started with an MX-350 and I now have an MX-980 as well. They definitely have a bit of a learning curve to them as the models I've used are intended for system integrators to set up/customize for their clients. However, they're very feature packed remotes and I'd highly recommend them to anyone that can deal with their learning curve and is interested in their features.

Be careful using "you" where you mean "I". Expensive is highly subjective and my URC remotes were not way too expensive for me. I can't speak for you but if you find Harmony remotes expensive then URC remotes are going to seem even worse. What I do 99% of the time isn't necessarily what you do 99% of the time. Even if they were the same I have other concerns and priorities that factor into my decision making (macros, programming, interface, etc). Don't project your preferences on others or assume that your preferences are universal.

If your concerns were mine then I'd just use the peanut as it handles the 99% you describe above at no additional cost.

My wife uses our URC remotes just fine. It's all a matter of proper programming. She's definitely not an AV or tech geek.

15. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I did read it, maybe didnt understand it. The way it reads what good is one without the other? If you need the app to use the Harmony Link and the Harmony Link cost $99..the app does too
    What good is it to someone that owns a Hamony remote? Is it intended to replace a Harmony remote in favor of using your smart phone? Is it anything more then a IR blaster?
    It looks to be as much use as the Revue to someone with a smart TV

16. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    That is like saying if a laptop costs $500 but won't run without an operating system, the operating system costs $500, pretty silly way to look at things in my opinion. I don't know if the Harmony Link is worth $100 or not. I use the Revue, I own two of them, and a couple Harmony remotes in my house and those products are definitely worth the price to me. I don't have a smart TV but the Revue with that keyboard and Google TV sure beat any smart TV products for my needs and the way I wanted to use the product.

I don't own a smart phone so Harmony Link isn't of interest to me and I have to admit, I don't know why anybody would use a phone as a remote control but I do know smart phones are popular and used by many for a lot of different things, it isn't for me to judge how useful this product is.

17. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Lots of people use smart phones to do all sorts of things. I'd wager more people own smart phones vs. Harmony remotes so this product is likely targeted at them. I can see how the idea of getting rid of extraneous remotes when you already own a smart phone would be an attractive choice. You can use the Harmony Link with an iPad and I would assume it also works with Android tablets as well.

Well it is a true statement that the Android app is not of much use without the Harmony Link, the fact remains that the app can be downloaded for free, just like you can with any other Harmony remote software. The upside of this is that you can download the software and configure it for your remote or Link prior to actually having the remote in your possession.

FWIW, I'm not trying to sell anyone on the Harmony Link. I merely proposed it as an alternative to a standard learning remote in case anyone was interested. Personally, I prefer the Harmony One.

The best thing about Harmony remotes is that you configure them to perform an activity rather than control a single device. You set up the activity and press a single button. The remote turns on all devices involved in the activity and selects the proper inputs on your TV and A/V receiver or preamp. It controls the volume and channel changing functions on the devices you specify. You can switch between an activity and an individual device at any time if you want to change any setup functions on a specific device that is not part of the current activity.

If you switch to another activity, it will turn on additional units and change inputs, as required. The remote remembers which units have been turned on (it assumes every device is in an off state prior to starting the first activity) so when you press the OFF button it shuts down only the units it previously turned on. In the case of a Tivo it knows that the device is always on so it does not transmit an on/off code for that device. These are probably the most user friendly remotes on the market.

18. jtreid

jtreid New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I had a Harmony remote and I paid $149 for it: more than 10x what I paid for the One-For-All. Expensive in this case is relative. To add, Harmony remotes are overpriced and overrated...in my opinion.
    So please elaborate. What more do you do a significant amount of time other than volume control, channel change, Tivo control when it comes to using your remote for Tivo?
    My $14 remote can do everything you state. Like I said I had a Harmony remote and it was nothing more. Well I do other things with my remote to control blu-ray, television, receiver, dvd and CD player as well, so it does a lot more than the peanut.
    Did the OP ask for opinions? Yes, I think so. The only way to provide an opinion is though communicating your preferences. Who made you moderator? Perhaps you don't need to tell others what to do or not do.
    My wife uses our One-For_All remotes just fine. It's all a matter of proper programming. She's definitely not an AV or tech geek.

19. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I would suggest trying again to program the glo remote. Try placing the remotes further apart, 12" or so and in a darkened room away from sunlight. Also, when pressing the button on the OEM remote, press and release, do not hold the button.

Programming can be fickle but I have yet to find a tv I could not control basic functions with the Glo Remote. Including one Westinghouse.

20. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I used to own a URC MX-700. I prefer both the Harmony 880 and the One much more than the URC. I liked the URC but it was far more limited by comparison to either Harmony remote. URC's are great remotes. Just not as flexible or as easy to set up and use as the Harmonys.