1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best disposition for old series @

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SzDoc, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    I have an old series 2 (regular old Tivo, not a Direct TV box). I long ago changed out the fans (which were ridiculously loud) and installed a larger HD. As noted, this was a long time ago, and I don't recall much about details. This box is taking up space and I am directed by my wife to make it go away. My biggest 2 concerns: 1. Security: I don't want any of my personal data being misused; 2. Ensuring it gets used well. But, these are balanced with: 3. time. I don't have a lot of time to invest in this. My default option at present, for security reasons, is to pull the HD and give the rest of the gear to a local electronics recycling facility. Time is a BIG factor. And, it's quite hard for me to get to USPS during the day to ship heavy stuff, so eBay is a less attractive option, given the likely return.

I did some searching (of course) prior to posting this, but I don't have a good solution to my conundrum.

Thanks for weighing in.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think all personal data can be wiped forgot what the process is called but it is in the setup menus. clean and ... something.

If it has lifetime service on it you could give it to someone you know with a SD TV or put it on craigslist for a few $$.

If it doesn't have lifetime service try giving it away on craigslist list otherwise recycle it.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    There is nothing personal of any value what so ever stored on a Tivo.

4. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Thanks to both of you. I will seek to hard reset it and perhaps do a Craigs List listing.

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Does it have lifetime?

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Make sure that you uncheck the boxes on Tivo.com so that downloads and network visibility are disabled. The most important one is the download box because that could allow a new owner to access your Amazon or Netflix accounts for downloads at your expense if you have those sites tied into your Tivo account.

7. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Mattack: Yes.

Lillevig: thx

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If it were me, I would run a "Clear & delete everything".

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What's the model number and how much do you want for it?

10. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    If selling it were the primary intent, I'd list it on eBay and maximize my return. I have no idea what it's worth. Anyway, I think it's a 140060.

11. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Maximizing your return on eBay is not a given. Especially since they claim 9% of the sales price (including shipping) and then another 2-3% from PayPal.

12. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

Jul 7, 2008
  13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, if you're really thinking of throwing it away, I'd pay shipping for it.. (Though lately I'm seeing a crawl on my analog channels saying they're going digital only.. though they listed a date in LAST month.. heh)

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I already made him that offer plus a little money.

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You sound like you keep more junk than I do! Now, I have 4 *completely* unused tivos (1 dead S3, 1 S3 I bought to try to revive the dead one, and 2 Tivo HDs I got cheap from someone on this board when I thought my TivoHD was having hardware probs too).. and 1 unplugged S1 (so technically that makes 5, but I COULD use it).

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Yeah, I've been meaning to get back to you about those S3s....:D

17. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Perhaps y'all just need more televisions.

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I would gladly sell you the dead lifetime S3 + working unsubscribed S3 -- AFTER -- my recordings from the also-dead-but-spins hard drive that was in that machine are revived.. (yes, I'm doubly stuck..)

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I have an idea...

Let me get back to you in a few days.

I'll PM you.

20. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    The S2 Tivos have some use, they can run a Digital OTA converter box. The S1s do not.