1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Buy - Streams on Clearance

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by HeatherA, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1 of 71
    HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Yesterday when I went to pick up my Roamio I noticed my Best Buy was out of TiVo Streams. The tag said clearance and had them at $119. I was told they had no more streams on order and would not be getting any in.

Does anyone know if TiVo is getting rid of the Streams?

2. Sep 7, 2013 #2 of 71
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Highly unlikely since the base Roamio doesn't include built-in stream, so the only way to get that functionality is with the stand-alone stream. Maybe Best Buy is going to stop stocking them in stores, but others will still sell them for the foreseeable future. Besides, at $119, they don't seem too motivated to clear inventory, Amazon has the Stream for $96

3. Sep 7, 2013 #3 of 71
    HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Yeah, I've been watching Amazon's prices so I can price match one at BB when they get a bit lower. I was just surprised to see them being clearanced out.

Maybe a new one is in the pipes?

4. Sep 7, 2013 #4 of 71
    SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Wasn't there speculation than Android support may require different hardware?

5. Sep 7, 2013 #5 of 71
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    ...and it's a feature that's advertised on the Roamio box.

On the other hand, I have the feeling that the "Streams" in Roamio Plus/Pro units will rapidly outnumber all those ever sold as standalones.

6. Sep 7, 2013 #6 of 71
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If so then I hope that hardware is already in the Pro/Plus.

7. Sep 7, 2013 #7 of 71
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler New Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    Amazon has been selling them for about $97 for at least a month now.

$119 off a regular price of $129 is not much of a "clearance".

8. Sep 9, 2013 #8 of 71
    bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Exactly, but this kind of "clearance" is aimed at people who only shop at brick & mortar stores without comparing price.

Last time I was in a Best Buy, I saw a confused-looking older couple in the Magnolia theater section about to spend over $100 on an HDMI cable and felt it was my duty to help educate them on marked-up cables. They were very grateful with such info :)

9. Sep 9, 2013 #9 of 71
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    It was speculation based on some correspondence from TiVo support personnel that had been passed to me... The message wasn't clear and different people I've shown have come to different conclusions, so who knows. Aside from that, it wouldn't surprise me to kill the Stream. Possibly better (for TiVo) to encourage folks to step up to new hardware or lesser subsidized hardware...

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I doubt the standalone Stream is going away. BB may be "killing" it because of lackluster sales, but I don't think it's going away completely. Also there is no way that Android support requires different hardware. It may require completely different software, but the hardware in the Stream is generic enough that it could support that software.

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Dunno about that... one of the selling points of a newer Zenverge chip is some specific hardware-based encryption... But hopefully it's a non-issue in this case.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If they killed the Stream though then a person with the base Roamio would have no way to get the Stream capabilties since they are not built into the base Roamio.

13. tlc

tlc Member

May 29, 2002
    So if they do stop selling streams, the only way to get that functionality would be to upgrade to a non-base Roamio. Maybe not a bad thing in their view?

On the base Roamio box? Without mentioning the Stream? Ha!

Plus they named it Roamio. I think people will be surprised that the base Roamio has no roaming!

This is starting to feel like some last-minute product differentiation to have more price points. Has anyone opened one to see if the base model has the streaming hardware?

Which would not bode well for the idea of them putting any work into the Stream box.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The current one does encrypted HLS just fine. Not sure if the encryption is hardware or software based, but if it is software based it doesn't seem to hinder performance at all.

15. Lars_J

Lars_J Member

Feb 1, 2005
    My local Best Buy had the Stream's for sale at $93 today. I picked one up.

It took me a few hours to get it to talk to my Premiere (lousy setup - it talked to the TiVo box, but refused to stream or download), but once I got it to work, it is very nifty! I'm heading out on a week vacation this weekend, so I was able to download some programming on to my iPad.

16. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    When I saw the clearance tag at BB last week I thought of the other data point that indicates Stream hardware might be going away or getting upgraded - the first week of Roamio sales Tivo gave Streams away for free to base Roamio buyers.

17. rick43065

rick43065 New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    According the the TiVo Romeo page https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio

Only Apple devices are supported.

So the "newest" device ROMEO still can't work with 98 Million or so delivered Android Devices, nor can does it have full functionality with Amazon Prime Video.

Not impressed.

18. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    TiVo had to pick one device family to support first. They picked iOS, which is running on 600 million devices. Impressed.

19. gamo62

gamo62 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Before you purchase ANY unit with either the Stream built in or standalone, check with your CableCo to make sure they're NOT broadcasting in H.264. The standalone and built-in Streams CANNOT currently handle H.264. It appears to be a software issue, as the regular Premiere and Roamio models can handle H.264. Currently, it is nothing more than either a novelty (Roamio Pro/Plus), or a paperweight (Standalone Stream). I can only use the Stream on local channels that are still MPEG2.

Note: (If your CC uses a TA, then you're not on H.264.)

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's not a hardware limitation, it's a software one. Hopefully they'll fix that soon.