1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Buy S3 @ $799 with $300 rebate: Can anyone confirm this?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by drew2k, Sep 12, 2006.

1. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I know this could piss off a lot of SA3 buyers who just shelled out $800 at TiVo.com, so read the whole thing first...

I stopped at my Best Buy this afternoon to check out the S3 and they didn't have it in stock, but were expecting them this week. I asked the BA TV drone and the floor manger (who were together just finishing up assisting another customer) if there would be any special promotions or rebates, and the drone said he was just reading up on this and there would be a "$300 or $400 rebate" - his words.

I was floored. That's a huge discount! I asked if I could pre-order with the rebate, but the manager said no, just come back. I then asked if the rebate was from TiVo or Best Buy, but the drone couldn't remember. I asked him if he would look it up but he declined.

So ... was I being snowed? Has anyone heard of a similar rebate or promotion from their Best Buy? I'd love to have everyone runs to their local Best Buy and ask so at least I'll know if it's true or a snow job.

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    I find that hard to believe...especially given the "knowledge" of BB employees in general. But, hey, if it's true, go for it! I paid full MSRP plus expedited shipping from CC, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I'll just enjoy my S3 :)!

3. Voodoo22

Voodoo22 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    MA
    Wish I read this half an hour ago, I would have asked.

I checked online and Best Buy's web site indicated they had S3s in stock at a few locations. I went and ordered one for pickup and then arrived only to hear they didn't have any. Nor did the other location. Stupid BB wasted my time and gas.

4. redrouteone

redrouteone This Space for Lease TCF Club

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    I generally hate rebates, but in this case I would make an exception. If it had a $300 rebate there is a very stong chance I would do it, with a $400 rebate no doubt I would.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Doubtful, since BB reportedly pays $500 wholesale on the S3. A $300 rebate would wipe out their profit.

Conversely, if it were a TiVo rebate that's 3/5 of their wholesale price.

And, on top of that - WHY? If the reports of limited quantities are true, I doubt TiVo is going to try to push sales by slashing profits.

6. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Got to have profits before you can slash them ... ;)

7. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    When I first heard it I kind of knew it was too good to be true .. but I was really hoping they weren't lying to me. Cold hard reality has now set in. :(

8. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Best Buy rule #1 - the customer almost always knows more than the sales rep ...

9. eisenb11

eisenb11 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    ... and apparently the manager as well :D

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The current rebate ends on Saturday. I'm hoping that Sunday or Monday a new one is issued and that the $150 rebate will apply to the S3.

If not I'm getting one anyway, but I'm still hoping.

Dan

11. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If there is any rebate, it would probably be a mail-in rebate. Like Dan, I'm hoping Tivo announces a new rebate on Monday.

12. amjustice

amjustice FINALY HD w/Series3

Mar 9, 2006
    Montgomery, IL
    If thats the case I will just send back the one I just bought from Tivo.com and buy one from best buy. I would hope tivo would offer that rebate to those who bought it from Tivo.com othewrise they would loose a lot of sales