1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Buy lowers Premiere to $99.99

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by davezatz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    The headline pretty much says it all. Well, other than the confusion regarding what service runs these days...

[​IMG]

2. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
  3. reebok

reebok New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    probably the ad that comes out tomorrow.

4. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Well the circular is dated as of tomorrow, so the website and store shelves probably didn't reflect any potential new price today. I assume we'll have more clarity tomorrow.

(I got in on the 6th Ave deal - free shipping, no tax. We'll see if it holds up and if I can transfer my $6.95 MSD.)

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Ny Times article on lowering pricing. credit to a commenter on Dave's site. Zatz Not Funny

This pricing confusion is really odd just on TiVo's thinking.

Best Buy makes it look like it is on sale rather than a new lower price since they are saying save $200.

If the rumor is true that the TiVos will be $100 in stores with $19.99 monthly plans, it makes no sense. Why would anyone get that rather than the $19.99 a month with $0 down? Also now if a box breaks you risk your plan increasing in price if you replace it with one bought anywhere other than from TiVo.

6. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Just make sure you don't call and see if you can just replace the TSN online. I believe if you call they will automatically switch you to the 9.95 since 6.95 is no longer an option.

7. alokkola

alokkola New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    This confirms Tivo Premiere was a mega DUD! Early adopters like me :( got royally screwed. 66% off in 6 months.

8. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    It confirms what TiVo said from the outset - the box is cheaper to produce.

9. t1voproof

t1voproof Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    It must be a lot cheaper to produce!

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I always figured they were aiming for a lower price with the Premiere, based on the infamous leaked CableCard info sheet, and was surprised when it came out at $300. Early adopter penalty, I guess.

I wonder if I can combine this with the $200 "upgrade" price for Lifetime?

11. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Hmm don't remember the leaked CableCARD info sheet. Any links?

Some people have had luck previously, but I would imagine the slickdeal/fatwallet effect killed it. It seems like everyone and their mother over there called even as a new customer to get it before they even got the TiVo.

12. t1voproof

t1voproof Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
  13. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah I remember those, but it sounded like it was a more detailed sheet from Cable Labs. It is probably just that sheet though. Thinking back I remember the discussions about price cuts due to dropped second CableCARD slot and outputs.

14. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Wow, I just bought a Premiere for full price in September. Assuming, this isn't a permanent price drop, selling these = profit.

15. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Looks like it is confirmed....stupid TiVo.

http://www.tivo.com/

No real details since most of the site is down right now.

If you buy at $99 and pay the $19.99 per month for a year you have paid a total of $338.88 before tax. It still works out cheaper than paying $299 + $12.99 per month which comes out to $454.88. Of course most people don't pay full price, but it will be interesting to see what happens after the year is over.

Details coming in. TiVo terms and conditions updated 11/14

I would think people who bought prior to the change may be able to push the issue. If not TiVo will have a PR nightmare on their hand.

16. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    The ad doesn't mention subscription costs. Gonna be some SERIOUSLY mad BB customers out there.

Me be thinking early Premiere adopters, suckers, they were.......hmm?

It's still cheaper for a current TiVo owner to do the upgrade through TiVo than buying the unit for $99. Even IF they DO allow you to lifetime, I doubt they will give the $200 "upgrade" version.

Although, things are tough over there. SO maybe if you push them over the phone.

I'm guessing even the Owner's upgrade program is about to get cheaper.

I bet $199 + $200 is just around the corner for owner upgrades after Christmas.

I read somewhere that HD sales were a couple dozen a month before the Premiere. I bet it's not THAT much more after the initial "I gotta have it" TiVo owners (like this forum) worked out.

I think it's official, the Premiere is doing VERY poorly, even by TiVo standards.

17. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    TiVo beter let me buy lifetime service for $200 since I bought the box for $300. The buyers of the $100 Premiere are only paying $7 a month more for a year, or $84, which is still a good deal. Afterwards, they pay the normal subscription price.

18. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It is really going to be interesting to see how TiVo handles this. Does this mean if you buy one of these TiVos used off craigslist or ebay you will also be stuck with the same terms and how will you know?

19. ECrispy

ECrispy New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I bought the Premiere with the 6ave $99 deal, with no indication of the new terms, which were changed 2 days later.

If Tivo now refuses to sell me lifetime, I am going to raise holy hell. Or return my Tivo.

This is illegal bait and switch, isn't it?

20. treaty

treaty New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Yeah. This is nuts. Here's the Best Buy page:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TiVo&#1...1218165774529&skuId=9744971&st=tivo&cp=1&lp=1

Says right on the page:
    "TiVo Service as low as $8.31 per month* *Minimum 1 year service plan required"

People gonna be pissed when they buy this and find out suddenly they are locked in to $19.99 a month for a year. Apparently Tivo is taking lessons from the major cell phone companies - pretty confusing - or deceptive, depending on your point of view:

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivoservicepaymentplanstermsandconditions.html