1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Android app to control a TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tivogurl, Oct 24, 2013.

1. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    In the Google Play store I see the TiVo app, DVR Commander by Anthony Lieuallen, and Network Remote for Tivo by Matthew Kennedy. I have a Roamio Basic if it matters.
  2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    I just use the official TiVo app. What do the others do that the official one doesn't?
  3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, DVR commander seems to be able to talk to my TiVo when I start it without "scanning network" interminably like the official TiVo app.
  4. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    One thing I don't like about the TiVo app is that when you delete a show in a folder, it takes you back to the top level Now Showing rather than staying in that folder. Very annoying if you're deleting multiple shows.

I think the TiVo app has a more pleasing font and visual presentation of the recording status icons (new etc).
  5. Doit2it

Doit2it New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I have NEVER gotten the official Tivo app to locate my TivoHD or my XL4. Yes, I have NRC turned on. They are both hard wired to a switch which is connected to my wireless router. Previously they were wired directly to the router and the app still didn't see my Tivo's. Very frustrating. I use RCX for Tivo because it allows you to set the IP address of your Tivo manually if needed. It's not the prettiest UI, but it works. If the Tivo app had this feature, I'd been using it a long time ago.

Update: Ignore everything I just said, one of the more recent updates must have fixed the issues I was having with my particular router/network. The Tivo app works now!