1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefit of Moca?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jevans14, Apr 21, 2014.

1. jevans14

jevans14 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    I purchased a new 6 tuner Roamio Plus. It is connected to the router via ethernet and works fine. I tried setting up a Moca network but it failed and I was told I needed a POE filter. Because I have been a very old and loyal customer the support rep sent me a POE filter. My question is this- I presently have only one Tivo and while in the past I have had up to 3, in my new house I will most likely only have one total Tivo. With only one Tivo is there any advantage or incentive to set up a Moca network?

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    With only one TiVo that is directly connected to your router, setting up a MoCA network is pointless. Ethernet is always preferred. MoCA exists to bring an Ethernet-like wired connection to places where Ethernet is not available but coax is.

Plug the Roamo into the router and forget about MoCA.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Where it would benefit is if you had Tivo Minis in other rooms. MoCA provides ethernet like speeds without the need to use anything other than your existing coax (for MoCA supported devices like the Roamio Pro/Plus and TiVo Minis).

Although I don't understand why a POE filter would be required. Perhaps you tried to setup the MoCA network on an old version of the software. You would need to plug in ethernet on your Roamio for it to work as a bridge. But like others have said, it would be pointless without other MoCA devices.

4. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    .....unless he wants to distribute Ethernet throughout his home using his Roamio plus as the bridge and other moca adapters and maybe some switches in each room to demodulate the signal back to Ethernet for other internet devices like PCs, Roku, game systems, etc. (i.e. - no more tivos or minis)

5. jevans14

jevans14 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Thanks for the responses. That is pretty much exactly what I thought and it is always good to get confirmation. Not going to do anything unless someday I get a Tivo mini.