1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before you ask--please read these FAQs!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lori, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori

Lori Social Defective TCF Club

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
  2. glennf

glennf New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    LA, CA
    Thank you TiVo goddess.

I have a large picture of you on top of my TiVo with candles all around it.
  3. feldon23

feldon23 MythBuster

Mar 13, 2001
    Houston, TX
    As I've said before, the FAQ is not in-your-face enough. It really should be a popup for new users.

If you go to my website and click on the Forum, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, the TiVo Community FAQ is nice, but the questions are phrased in such a way that only some who is ALREADY intimately familiar with TiVo could find answers to their questions. And finally, 2/3rds of the questions in that FAQ are not ones that are asked frequently!!

I'm working on a new FAQ here. It's hardly what I consider finished, but I'll keep working on it.
  4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Is there a way to make this messsage an annoucement that stays at the top, like the new software announcement does??
  5. glennf

glennf New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    LA, CA
    That Feldon person seems kind of ticked off.
  6. Lori

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    We're working on that. This isn't my forum so I can't do it but I have asked the local mods to do so.
  7. Lori

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Feldon, I hear you. However, this is all that I can personally do right now, so how about giving me a break? :)
  8. DrStrange

DrStrange New Member

May 18, 2000
    And though I already mentioned it in the FAQ new ideas thread, the vB conversion changed the URLs of many of the threads the FAQ points to. I've already run through this copy, updated those I could find new URLs for and deleted those for which there was neither an old nor new working link. All a FAQ maintainer has to do is copy the HTML over to the real FAQ.
  9. rasheed

rasheed New Member

Oct 9, 2000
  10. DMHinCO

DMHinCO Blithering Idiot

Dec 14, 2000
    Denver, CO
    ...But FWIW, I posted some helpful hints in the thread in my signature. Newbies may find it useful. </horn>
  11. ILoveMyTiVo

ILoveMyTiVo Member

Apr 21, 2000
    New York, NY
    Done. Thanks for the help.

I also updated a bunch of other little things in the FAQ like changes because of the new forum software, a few things that aren't true anymore with the current software, and info on the AT&T box.

As for changing the format of the FAQ or removing old questions (that are still correct), I'm leaving all decisions on that to the creators of the FAQ.
  12. GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    In the UK forum I created a mini subset of the UK FAQ with info on the things most newbies ask, as well as links to places of further info. This seems to have worked quite well and has cut down the number of repeat questions quite a bit.

I try to keep it up to date with the latest information.

Check it out here:

13. Fflur

Fflur Obey my dog!

Jan 5, 2002
    Elk Grove, CA
    Thank you...Ive had my Tivo for about a year and a half, but Im new to this forum so any help is greatly appreciated.
  14. tombanjo

tombanjo New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Is it possible to shut off the time slip auto correction feature?

Please email me at steveboxer@aol.com
  15. ajergo

ajergo A.J.

Feb 19, 2002
    Webster, NY...
    In the TiVo FAQ section, which you are asked to read before posting questions to this forum, there is a link to a web site for www.tvquest.com .... this is suppose to contain Tribune's current schedule and lineup data . However, I can not get to this Web site. Says that the page does not exist. Is this a valid web site URL ?
  16. gleffler

gleffler This one goes to 11

Dec 28, 2000
    TVQuest does appear to be defunct. Zap2It has Tribune data and lineups also.

17. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    If you mean the amount TiVo jumps back when you go from FF to play, take a look at Otto's backdoor code list. He mentions how to modify it in there: Codes
  18. tj

tj New Member

Aug 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    Don't forget that you can get most of your TiVo questions answered quickly in AVS Forum Live Chat at http://www.avscience.com/avslive.htm . Tell us that you heard of it from this message.
  19. Spockman

Spockman Working Member

Apr 6, 2002
    There is a need to update some info in the FAQ.

The 800# for Philips re: Remote Replacement issue is invalid :(. The one given to me by Tivo support is:

Unfortunately, it is always busy! Does anyone else have a working number for the Philips Remote Replacement issue?

:( :( :(
  20. Mystk

Mystk New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    North Bay...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.