1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BE CAREFUL Downloading to iPhone over Wi-Fi - A suggestion for TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by zubinh, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1 of 22
    zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Every Sunday night I download shows from my Roamio Plus to my iPhone just before going to bed. My WiFi signal is usually pretty good in my upstairs bedroom even though the router is in the basement. In the past, if the wifi signal wasnt strong enough, the download would stop and I would have to start it up again in the morning. That wasnt a big deal until now with the recent updated capability of the TiVo app.

Last night I guess the wi-fi signal wasnt strong enough. So you can guess what the iPhone did - that's right - it switched to CELLULAR DATA AND USED UP ALMOST MY ENTIRE DATA ALLOWANCE.

I knew something was amiss when I got an email this morning from Verizon stating that I am close to using my alloted data allowance. That has NEVER happened to me before. I checked my data usage on verizon.com and sure enough at 3am a big usage spike ocurred. So now I may not have to restart downloads any more if they fail, but the TiVo app will suck up my data allowance.

Dear Tivo, If you're listening, PLEASE add an option to restrict downloads to WiFi ONLY. Thank you

2. Nov 4, 2013 #2 of 22
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    On your iOS device -- Settings, Cellular. Scroll down -- you can enable/disable each app for cellular data.

3. Nov 4, 2013 #3 of 22
    zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you for the tip DeltaOne. That is a good workaround albeit a bit of a pain though. I would have to toggle that back on in order to manage recordings when not connected to WiFi.

4. Nov 4, 2013 #4 of 22
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    But very good insurance in your case.

And with all the people complaining that they still cannot stream yet using a cellular connection - I doubt you will see TiVo implement that request.

It is a good solid recommendation and I may actually make of habbit of doing to same thing.

5. Nov 4, 2013 #5 of 22
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Some of us still have grandfathered unlimited data, and will keep it until they pry it out of our cold, dead hands. :)

6. Nov 4, 2013 #6 of 22
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    ...or until you attempt to update your device! :mad:

7. Nov 4, 2013 #7 of 22
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I believe the option to pay non-contract price still exists for some providers. Maybe that is changing?

8. Nov 4, 2013 #8 of 22
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    AT&T hasn't been taking the unlimited plan from us yet -- even when you buy a new iPhone. I'm on my third iPhone and still have my original unlimited plan.

ButÂ…unlimited isn't unlimited. They throttle you back if you use too much data in any given month. And, of course -- they could kill the grand-fathered unlimited plans any time they want.

9. Nov 4, 2013 #9 of 22
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

They can't arbitrarily kill the unlimited plans if you are currently on one. That won't stop them from trying like the endless addition of fees and surcharges instead of raising the plan cost.

10. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I'm not so sure -- I'll bet there's language in the fine print saying they can make any changes at any time. I hope you're right, but I figure their lawyers have all the angles covered.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So then you either pay full price for the device or get a used one at a lower cost. Which is what i just did recently when I got a used Droid DNa so I would be able to keep my granfathered Unlimited plan.

12. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    The tidbit about AT&T taking away Unlimited Data when you upgrade is just completely false and absurd.

I have upgraded 3 times since they've discontinued unlimited data and not once have they moved me to a capped tier.

13. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    They have however made it unable to get things like tethering, you can not set up a personal hot spot with unlimited, you have to move to a tiered plan.

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's not a workaround, it's asking for EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANTED!!!!

15. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Dear OP, get a data plan that provides sufficient qty for actual use. Might be time to look at a different carrier that actually lets you use your itoy.

Just say no to data caps.

16. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    It is a workaround. The app could control downloading shows over wi-fi and still allow you to manage recordings.

17. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    You took the words right out of my mouth...:)

18. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Nah, just out of your post. :)

19. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    ......it must've been while you were kissin' me!

- Meatloaf, Bat Out of Hell

20. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Another workaround, in the same settings screen for Cellular on the iOS device is to disable cellular data to force all connections, for all apps, over WiFi. In my experience, this has an added benefit of forcing the device to hold the wireless connection longer or reconnect faster instead of preferring LTE in weaker signal situations as LTE is no longer an option.