1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bay Area, CA: TiVo & Comcast XFinity on Demand -- it's official

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoStephen, Apr 10, 2012.

1. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Hi folks,

I've seen a lot of speculation, but now we can confirm: It is true! TiVo and Comcast will begin rollout of Xfinity On Demand to San Francisco Bay Area TiVo Premiere customers tomorrow. Because this feature is added to our retail TiVo Premiere boxes, SF and Bay Area customers will have access to Xfinity On Demand in addition to the full on demand library, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Pandora.

The rollout will hit all existing TiVo Premiere DVRs over the next few weeks. Existing TiVo Premiere users in the Bay Area will automatically receive this update to their DVR and will have access to the Xfinity On Demand library.

TiVo Premiere subscribers in additional markets across the country are expected to have access to the XFINITY On Demand library in the coming months. The moment I get permission to confirm other dates, I will post here.

Please visit www.tivo.com/comcast to learn more or to sign up for notifications when XFINITY On Demand becomes available on TiVo Premiere in additional areas.

Any questions, please let us know.

I'm very excited about this offering and I hope you are as well.

Best regards,
    Stephen

2. gatorbait

gatorbait Member

Feb 10, 2000
    Salt Lake...
    Look forward to seeing how this goes in Northern California.

I love my TiVo for recording shows, but don't really trust it for Netflix or Hulu Plus. Seems like I have to reboot about 10% of the time I try to use either platform. Hope the Xfinity implementation will be a bit more solid.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This is wonderful news! It's time my mom replaces her old Comcast/Motorola/Tivo. She insisted on keeping it for the access to OnDemand. Now she can get a real Tivo!!

4. steinbch

steinbch Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Do you have any screenshots of the OnDemand screens? Wondering if it is the old UI (like Amazon) or something newer (like the new YouTube/Netflix). Heck, I'd be happy if it was just similar to the Browse TV/Movies menu.

5. tomm1079

tomm1079 New Member

May 10, 2005
    Cant wait for this to hit chicago area!

6. cwashizawa

cwashizawa New Member

Apr 4, 2012
    I'm in the SF bay area. As of now, I haven't received the update. I'll post screen shots as soon as I receive the update.

7. LisaJaco

LisaJaco New Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Really excited for this! I can finally get rid of that pos Comcast box. Thanks!

8. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Awesome, can't wait for it to get to NJ. Two quick questions though:

1. Will this give access to the entire VoD library (i.e. exactly the same as what's available on a cable box)?

2. Do you expect all Comcast areas will get this by the end of the year?

9. beejay

beejay New Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    I rarely use Comcast's On Demand because I hate the remote control and interface.

I look forward to that coming month when I can get On Demand through TiVo.

10. LisaJaco

LisaJaco New Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Stephen, do you recommend I wait a few weeks before purchasing a TiVo Premier? I have a 7 year old TiVo sitting here with lifetime support. Not quite sure if I'm jumping the gun by purchasing Premier before OnDemand is up and running.

11. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    have you type in your zip to confirm its coming to your area? from what I understand we are waiting for comcast not tivo now.

12. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Not quite there for me... The Comcast Box is still better for PPV's since TiVo boxes delete PPV's almost immediately. Regardless of if you have actually watched them or not... So I guess I'm still stuck with the POS Comcast box. :(

13. LisaJaco

LisaJaco New Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Yes, I did! And it's coming to a theater near me soon!

14. emkorial

emkorial New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    any timing on rollout outside sf? how long will this testing in the test market take?

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Stephen answered that in the first post. They will announce other markets later. My guess is they are using the SF area first since that is where TiVo is located. How long it takes to roll out probably depends on how well it works in the SF rollout.

16. TiVoStephen

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    1. Yes, it should be identical.

2. That is still being determined.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. There are enormous differences between some of the different Comcast regions.

17. TiVoStephen

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Never a better time to buy than now :)

18. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Are you speculating that the TiVo will work the same as what you are describing, or have you used/seen it work that way with Comcast? I had a Comcast box a long time ago, and I did not think these were downloaded but were made available through their service.

19. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    Given the lack of screen shots in this thread, is it safe to assume that Comcast has not yet rolled this out in SF?

20. sinkercas

sinkercas New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It amazes me that the On Demand rollout for Xbox 360 is nationwide immediately, but for us TiVo users, it has a slow roll...