1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle of the Network Stars

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Donbadabon, May 29, 2012.

1. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Remember this show from back in the late 70's where stars from the different networks would compete in games?

It is currently being shown on ESPN Classic.

Looks like they are showing 5 episodes today in a row, starting 30 minutes ago.

And I don't see it in the guide again until 6/4.

So if you have remote recording ability, and want to catch it, better be quick!

Currently watching CBS vs ABC playing football. Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenberg, Scott Baio, Jeff Conaway, etc
  2. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    I saw some of those a few months ago. Great fun. Some of the stars were good athletes. Best part was Lynda Carter in a swimsuit.
  3. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze The Devil you know

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
    Raises hand. I think SNL did a skit on "Battle of the Network T&A" with "the Biggest T's, and the nicest A's". :D
  4. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Spoiler Alert!
  5. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Didn't they do a pretty bad attempted revival in the past 10 years or so?

I loved these shows as a kid, and think you COULD still do a good one... (even if you "updated" it, had Ryan Seacrest hosting or something.. of course, having Kotter host it would be best as Cosell is no longer around.) and heck, we allegedly have 5 or so networks nowadays.
  6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I used to like this. It was an offshoot of the show "Superstars" where they got athletes of different sports to compete in "generic" contests to see who was the best overall athlete. They did essentially the same thing with celebrities.

So those of you who think shows like Survivor and other reality contests are new concepts, should watch these and realize that it all comes from the 70s. The difference is then, it was mostly summer replacement fare. Today, it's PRIME programming!!
  7. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    There was a revival, but I think it was in the 1990s. You may be thinking of the attempted Superstars revival, which I think was ruined by (a) having celebrity-and-athlete teams (the original was mainly just athletes, although they did have a celebrities-only version at one point), (b) some really strange events (example: both teammates have to get from Point A to Point B, and the team has one bicycle - one competitor rides, then decides where to leave the bike and run the remaining distance; the teammate walks to where the bike was dropped off and rides the rest of the way), and (c) constantly shuffling the teams around because of injuries and dropouts (I think Terrell Owens dropped out in the middle of the competition because he had to report to training camp).

I have a feeling BotNS had the same problem as Circus of the Stars; a lot of celebrities want to do it...once. After a while, it becomes Battle/Circus of the C-List Celebrities.
  8. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
  9. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
  10. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I remember watching these shows with my dad, who only watched for wet celebrity women. Linda Carter was the highlight, yes.

11. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    They also parody it on SCTV as "Battle of the PBS stars".

[YT="Battle of the PBS Stars"]FVFuNB9L42Y[/YT]
  12. alpacaboy

alpacaboy New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I remember one year, the announcer (Cosell?) musing/leering, "Locklear or Thomas..."
  13. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze The Devil you know

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
    Not to go too far off topic, but I found and well remember this.

[YT="Battle of the PBS Stars Football Game"]_37CXe1Uc3w[/YT]
  14. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    And they never gave them proper bathing suits, either! They were one piece, but I grew up at the public pool, PRAYING the suits would be as revealing. Nope, never happened.