1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bates Motel - S01E10 - Midnight

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by danterner, May 22, 2013.

1. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I'm not sure why I like this series as much as I do. It is paced much more slowly than the shows I'm typically drawn to. It's almost languid, yet the craziness just under the surface keeps me tuning in. Reflecting back, I got much the same feeling from the show "Invasion" during its limited run. Has Bates Motel been picked up for a second season? It feels like not all that much happened in this one, looking back.

I wasn't at all surprised by the teacher's fate, but the show played it off like a shocking and unexpected reveal. I remember LOST used to do that, too. I wonder if that's just a Carlton Cuse thing. I noticed her B necklace, so she was the "other woman" of Bradley's father's affair, but I'm not sure why exactly we're supposed to care. I guess that will be explored more next season.

I don't mean to come across as being down on the series - it is actually my favorite new series, I think.

2. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    Maybe its because Vera Farmiga is the hottest woman on TV ever? Not to mention the greatest actress that ever existed!

{need a cigarette}

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    A&E Renews 'Bates Motel' for Second Season.

I wasn't surprised by the Miss Watson's fate. But damn i'm gonna miss her. And the kid who plays Norman is so good. As is his buddy Emma. Hell! Everyone is good on this show.

4. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    Are we suppose to be convinced that Norman killed her? It seems too easy for it to have been him. All we know is he "saw" his mother tell him that he knew what to do and then the next thing we know is he's running down the street.

Could it have been someone else?

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    No. He had one of his blackout rage moments when he killed her. That's why he told Norma that Miss Watson was giving him a ride and then he was running home and didn't remember the 'in between'. This was the first real escalation to the Norman Bates of the movies. He had hallucinations with his mother before when he broke into the deputy's house. Now Norma has him committing murder.

6. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Her angry phone call certainly leaves open the possibility

7. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    No. He had one of his blackout rage moments when he killed her. That's why he told Norma that Miss Watson was giving him a ride and then he was running home and didn't remember the 'in between'. This was the first real escalation to the Norman Bates of the movies. He had hallucinations with his mother before when he broke into the deputy's house. Now Norma has him committing murder.

8. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    I had forgot about that. Yes that does open up the possibility.

9. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Watching a woman undress, getting aroused and then killing her matches the original movie, so seems what most likely happened. I wonder if we'll see peep holes in the motel walls next season.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I really never thought of questioning whether or not he killed her. It seemed just like the black-out he suffered at the time that he, supposedly, killed his father. Also, did you see that coming from a mile away or what? :)

I'll miss this show until it returns.

11. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I missed the "B" necklace, thanks.

I am another viewer glad that this show was renewed.

12. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I figured that scene was there because the person she was on the phone with is going to be the prime suspect in her murder. At the time I figured it was a boyfriend, but could it have been Bradley's mom calling to yell at "the other woman?"

You guys are talking about next season. Was this the season finale? :(

13. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I feel like lots of things happened. I was pretty surprised when the deputy was killed midseason and they more or less wrapped that storyline up. I thought that was going to go on much longer. I realize the Abernathy plot was related, but it felt like a new chapter.

14. warrenn

warrenn New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    Can someone give a summary of what happened between when the teacher was cleaning Norman's face and when Norman is hugging his Mom and she'll telling him it's all over? There was some sort of emergency test screen that came on during that time and I missed what happened.

15. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Hmm.. your missing moments are the same as Norman's blackout. I'm sure there's nothing to it...

The teacher went into her bedroom to change. There was of course the perfectly positioned mirror so Norman could watch her undress from the living room. His mother appeared as a hallucination, telling him how bad it was and that he knew what he needed to do. Next we saw he was running down the road and his mom drives up.

16. warrenn

warrenn New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    It's a total coincidence, I can assure you. If you have any doubts, you can asked my stuffed dog. He was with me the whole time and said I didn't have anything to do with it.

Thanks for the summary. I'm looking forward to the next season.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I wish there was a way to opt out of those damnable EAS things! It always happens at the worst time and it, at least around here, is always about some inane thing like 'there might be thunderstorms 200 miles from here'.

Even if it happens on live TV while you're watching a recording it cuts in. :mad:

18. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    What DVR system do you have? I have never had anything break into a recording and I have had DirecTiVos, DISH DVRs, and now The Hopper.

19. n548gxg

n548gxg New Member

Mar 7, 2003
    East Coast
    EAS breaks into FIOS on demand. Thus if I am watching 'Bates Motel' on demand, FIOS will show the EAS.

20. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    You have Satellite. On Comcast, EAS will cut in.