1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bates Motel S01E02

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Active Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Interesting episode. The other son is interesting. He is obviously going to start trouble. I think he likes Norma as well as Norman (if you catch my drift) but is angry about it and jealous of Norman.

Again we get Norma showing her body to Norman and get to see his reaction. It is all very weird.

So Emma was able to type in pictograms for translation? Not buying it. I'm guessing it was too much hassle to explain, so they just glossed over it.

The cops and the town "taking care of things" is a little dark. I wonder how long before they protect Norma instead of prosecuting her.

I do like how we have all of these unexplained things. Makes me want to continue watching. I find it interesting how the set designer uses all of these things that are old, kind of a throw back to the original movie. The school teacher wears Peter Pan collars and cardigans. She looks like she stepped out of the fifties. Norman was watching black and white TV, the record player was a seriously old system. I didn't recognize the song, but I bet it was appropriately old.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I just about dropped when I realized who the teacher was, it's the Blue Fairy from Once Upon A Time...

:)

3. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I enjoyed this episode, as well. I like that the town is shaping up to be a character in its own right. A character with a dark side, no less.

4. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I wasn't sure about this show after the first episode, but now I'm hooked. I really enjoyed this episode.

It was kind of extreme that they introduced both a human slavery (?) ring and a marijuana plantation with hostile guards in the same episode, but they're definitely creating potential for a lot of future story lines. The brother, the mother's relationship with the deputy, all good stuff.

I liked when Norman got the psycho look in his eye and grabbed the meat hammer to whack his brother in the head. It seemed like we might have Norman's first victim, but then it ends with a black eye.

When this episode ended, I was hoping I had another one recorded, because I didn't want it to end.

5. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    It does continue to feel more like a show that should be on The CW instead of A&E, but I guess that only matters if it doesn't find an audience.

6. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Yes...this is what I was thinking, something like the Norman Diaries

7. Apr 1, 2013 #7 of 14
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm so glad they addressed the issues in the town. I thought the girls were dressed way too nice to live in such a hick town. They were very much dressed like city girls and did not at all fit their surroundings. At least we now we sort of know why.....

8. Apr 1, 2013 #8 of 14
    2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Finally watched the first two episodes last night. I kinda wish I would have went ahead and watched the movie before starting this series. Although maybe it's best that it stands on its own.

Seems good so far.

9. Apr 1, 2013 #9 of 14
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Maybe I'm just not in the right demographic, but I hated the movie. I never saw the appeal of it at all. I am enjoying the series though.

10. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I'm not so sure about that = I suspect Norman has already done someone in.

:eek::eek::eek:

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Same here...and I can't remember recently when a new series did that. First ep underwhelmed me but this one hooked me, too...

12. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Not sure if I'm moozing, but I got a good laugh out of this exchange since Forum Runner doesn't display certain emoticons, like :eek: but instead writes them out like : eek :

So Cainebj's comment looked like : eek : : eek : : eek : to me, which is very onomatopoeic for the movie's shower stabbing scene.

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    SPOILERS!!!!!!

:D

14. KyleLC

KyleLC Unregistered User

Feb 6, 2002
    Sugar Land, TX
    "This Guy's in Love with You," by Herb Alpert of "The Tijuana Brass." The song reached number 1 on the Billboard Top 40 in May of 1968.