1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic Roamio or Basic Premiere 4?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by lillevig, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1 of 31
    lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I currently have a 2-tuner Premiere and a 4-tuner Premiere, both with lifetime. I'm thinking about replacing the 2-tuner box with another 4-tuner one (yes, sometimes we need more than 6 tuners). Tivo has the basic Roamio (4-tuner) for $200 (plus service) but the basic 4-tuner Premiere is listed at $250 (or $190 factory renewed). Am I missing something here or is Tivo just discouraging the purchase of the older boxes?

2. Oct 3, 2013 #2 of 31
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  3. Oct 3, 2013 #3 of 31
    thegardentool

thegardentool New Member

Oct 3, 2013
    I'm in a similar situation where I have a Premiere but I would like to go with a 4-tuner unit. I can't decide between a Premiere (XL)4 or a Roamio. I like the idea of being able to go back to using it the TiVo with OTA if I cut the cord again, but I don't think that is likely now that my wife has found a whole bunch of channels she enjoys. The ultimate goal is a simple whole-home solution that will allow me to return Cox's $18.49/month DVR along with all its shortcomings that is in the bedroom.

Dan, is the speed increase worth ~$100 difference from a XL4 to a Roamio, in your opinion? As I understand it's much easier to replace the hard drives now but that's an additional $100 for a 2TB so really it becomes about a $200 difference for equal storage space. But I would also lose OTA capabilities.

4. Oct 3, 2013 #4 of 31
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't even HAVE a Roamio, but I'd say $100 is worth the speed gain, but I'd go to the 6 tuner version. (The lowest one is only 4 tuner, right?)

5. Oct 3, 2013 #5 of 31
    gigaguy

gigaguy New Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I'm in the same boat, newbie just got a base Premiere for almost nothing to try out TIvo, I like it, but I could see having 4 tuners and bigger hard drive as a good step up..

If I can get an XL4 for about half the cost of the base Roamio, I'd go for it. I don't mind the $199 for Roamio but I saw one at the store and it is one cheap looking little plastic box. Hard to pay full price for it when loaded and cheap Premieres are glutting the market....

I see some XL4s ebaying for $150 so I'm willing to keep using my Premiere for a while. I'm in no rush, and it's clear the boxes themselves become almost valueless in 2-3 years, unless they are service lifetimed.

but if I see the Roamio on sale I might get it. I'm just not in a big rush, still enjoying the Tivo Premiere world.

6. Oct 3, 2013 #6 of 31
    fdisker2000

fdisker2000 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    JBLM, WA
    If you want the option to go back to ota you have to go with the base Roamio, the Premiere XL4 doesn't have ota. The Roamio Plus and Pro don't have ota either.
    Also, the Roamio IS worth $100 more for the speed.

7. Oct 4, 2013 #7 of 31
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The XL4 is $250 on that page I linked to. The Roamio Basic is $200. Throw in $95 for a 2TB WD AV-GP drive and you're only looking at about a $45 difference. Well worth it.

Now one caveat to the Roamio Basic is it does not have built in MoCa. So if you want to add a Mini then you'll need a wired connection or you'll have to get an external MoCa adapter for $50.

Now you could go for a Plus, which has built in MoCa, 6 tuners and a built in Stream, but that's that's $400 and still only has a 1TB drive so you'd still need the upgrade for it to be equivalent. So now we're at another $200. So now you have to decide if MoCa, 2 more tuners and a built in Stream are worth hat much.

I personally bought the Pro, which cost me nearly $1k with lifetime service, so I clearly thought it was worth it. But if price is an issue I'd go with the Basic and drive. Well worth the $45 upgrade there.

8. Oct 4, 2013 #8 of 31
    scottfll954

scottfll954 Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I have had them both...including an XL4

the min I got the basic roamio I replaced my 2 premieres ...

Its all about the speed... Roamio is MUCH FASTER and all FLOWS better

9. Oct 4, 2013 #9 of 31
    TxDan

TxDan New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Dallas Best Buys have the XL4 clearanced for $99.

10. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Thanks for the comments but I'm not sure what "speed" refers to in many of the posts. I have absolutely no desire for a Stream or Mini box and my transfer speeds between the living room and bedroom Tivos are good enough for my purposes. Don't do Netflix or Hulu and the few times we've done Amazon it was a complete download and not a stream. We also don't need much storage space because we typically record a bunch of shows but watch and delete in a timely fashion. Going to a 6-tuner Roamio is an extra $200 over the cost of the basic so I can't see that as an option unless I was going to cut down to a single Tivo and then I'd still potentially be short of tuners.

11. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Speed refers to the speed of navigating the TiVo menus. As well as the speed of things like applications.

For example. The time to navigate to a show in the "my shows" menu and begin playback on the Premiere is about 5-7 seconds, on the Roamio it is just 2-3 seconds.

Time to launch Netflix app on Premiere about 30 seconds, time to launch on Roamio about 7-8 seconds.

Additionally there are newer versions of apps available on the Roamio that will very likely not come to the Premiere.

Premiere is effectively end of line after 1 or 2 more updates, where-as Roamio should see robust development for at least the next 12-24 months.

Rather boggling to me that anyone would choose a Premiere over a Roamio to save a few bucks.

12. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Unfortunately I live in San Angelo.

13. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    If that's all there is to the "speed" factor then it isn't a selling point for me.

14. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Whatever floats your boat.

The "all there is to speed" thing that you are so dismissive of is the reason the Roamio has gotten glowing reviews across the techno-sphere, where-as the reviews of the Premiere were rather lackluster.

15. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    More than just the speed - which is a huge improvement...

You also get the new HTML5 platform. This is where a lot of the future improvements and OTT services are going to come from.

We have already seen an Improved Netflix and Youtube - with DIAL support. I think we will see many more now that the hardware meets minimal standards. Updated Amazon streaming? HBO Go app?

OTT is the future distribution model for content and the Premiere is not aligned to support that model. The Roamio line is.

Get the Premiere, it is a good unit and has served me well for a several years now. But don't be one of those guys complaining that you are not getting all the new content or services because you are on an older platform.

The Premiere is what it is, and offers what it offers. It will never be anything more then that.

16. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
  17. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    I think it all depends on where you are coming from. When you come out of the ghetto (cable co dvrs) you think it's a miracle to live in a modest functional neighborhood (premiere or older). Really that's all you need. But if you are an enthusiast, you want more, you want the best (nicer upper class neighborhood) and you just can't settle for the premiere when the roamio is right there.

18. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    selling point for me on basic romeo is small form factor: much more portable. Im also assuming it runs more quiet with an internal fan which is also important to me

19. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    LOL @ leiff. How many people need a DVR to be "portable"? :)

20. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Dvr with ota & wifi and ill consider taking it with me on trips.