1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barter Kings

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Frylock, May 23, 2012.

1. Frylock

Frylock Live Long and Tivo!

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    Well, they've already got Storage Wars... Then Shipping Wars... Now Barter Kings from A&E. I will definitely check this show out.

2. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    LOL...I swear I was going to post about this show today!

3. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    But ofcourse! :)

4. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    Watched 1 episode last night. Ughh. It's definitely not drawing me in like Storage Wars and Shipping Wars did. I don't know that I see this show getting a second season unless it gets a lot better.

5. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I watched 1 episode: the one where the one guy trades up for a Hummer golf cart and the other guy trandes for a horse.

I actually enjoyed it. It is a very interesting concept.

I did notice that these guys seem to own some type of pawn shop or 2nd hand store (I'm not sure) which I'm sure helps them.

6. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    The second episode was a bit better. It showed how one guy traded up and then cashed out. I get the fun in trading up for bigger and better things, but at some point, you can't barter food from the grocery store.

I wonder how long it takes them to actually find barter matches?

7. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
  8. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I did go back and watch the first show and they did explain that these guys run a "trade shop" so that would certainly help vs the avg joe.

I liked that episode because the one guy did actually "cash out" and make some money instead of just trading for something he wanted.

9. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Some of the deals on this show make it look like the guys on Pawn Stars are being very generous with their offers. Seriously, trade a jukebox for the world's most basic welder?

Between that guy's wife complaining about the welder having no wire and the premium golf cart maker blowing off the "cold air balloon" in a manner that obviously could've been done over the phone, the show seems more fake than reality. I'm not seeing a reason to watch. At least on Pawn Stars the items are interesting to hear about and Storage Wars/Shipping Wars have amusing characters to view.

Step 1: Take piece of **** you don't want and trade it for another, more valuable piece of **** you don't want.
    Step 2: Repeat step 1 as needed
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit or magically get something that you actually want, because you're on a reality TV show

10. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    watched the last 2 episodes:
    I really enjoy this show.

I really was LOL'ing over the NIPPON GAKKI!!! It still cracks me up this morning.

11. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    but the thing is, that jukebox wasnt' worth anything to the owner. It had probably sat in his garage for years and never been used (much like the pool table that I sold dirt cheap). The welder can actually make him MONEY!. And very few people would have $1000 in cash to buy it from him.

That holds true for most of these trades.

12. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Anybody knew watching? I really do love this show. The guys are really likable and I love the trading.

I'm sure a lot is staged or recreated, but it is still entertaining.

13. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    I'm sticking with it. They are definitely likeable. They also seem to have a lot of toys.

I wonder how many trades get rejected that they offer, and how many accept their lopsided ones because they are on tv (and will accept a slight loss to be on tv themselves).

14. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    yeah..I'd actually LIKE to see a trade get rejected now and then or them come out on the short end of the stick and see how they handle that.

I do wonder how they make rent/profit (like somebody else mentioned earlier). You can't pay rent/payroll by solely trading. I'm assuming they really do sell things out of that store but are just downplaying that aspect as it doesn't fit in with the show.

15. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    That one guy sure is making some $$ as a cast member. He's been an appraiser on Storage Wars, then a buyer on Baggage Wars, now on Barter Kings.

16. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    What guy is that? I watch all of those and haven't noticed any xover.

17. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I think its Billy (I dont watch Baggage Battles or Barter Kings) except when flipping channels. When I was flipping last week, I saw him on Barter Kings creepily talking about some $100 toy gun.

18. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    That was hilarious. His partner must try and do that to him all the time.

I still have "bah bam" running through my head.

19. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    OK. I know exactly who that guy is and have seen him on American Pickers (with the eye patch) and then on Baggage Battles, but I have NEVER seen him on Barter Kings.

20. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    well, maybe it was a commercial for something else, but I know the channel banner said Barter Kings.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1161787/

I wonder how many other of these folks are actors?