1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banshee, 01-11-2012, Pilot (on Cinemax)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Thom, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Thom

Thom Active Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Whittier,...
    The first episode of this new show was broadcast Thursday, 1-11-2012, on Cinemax.

This was a good show. It had action, sex, and mystery. I hope they can maintain the show quality.

Give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

2. super dave

super dave Upgrade Willy

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    You mean Friday 1-11-2013? Or was this last year in some sort of time shift?

3. Thom

Thom Active Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Whittier,...
    Oops! 2013...

4. Thom

Thom Active Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Whittier,...
  5. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Just finished watching the first episode. Looks like a very promising show.

6. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Really enjoyed the pilot during the free preview weekend. But not enough to add premium channels. Maybe it will end up on Netflix or something similar.

7. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    My wife and I enjoyed it. It seemed to be trying a bit too hard for gritty content, but still was interesting enough. Somehow my wife and I both predicted that the lead actor would be from Australia or New Zealand in real life -- I guess there's just something about scruffy dudes from there that is distinct.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There's also a way of speaking...Mel Gibson has it, Russell Crowe, Guy Pierce...I can't put my finger on it, and their American accents can be impeccable, but when I hear it I go to IMDb and it's always an Aussie or a Kiwi. Some casual, rolling quality to their diction.

9. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Did that work with John Noble in Fringe? I would not have guessed with him.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He has kind of a hint of it, although I also wouldn't have noticed (and didn't) before I knew that he was an Ozzie.

He has an exaggerated diction that is common among people doing fake American accents, but his is so perfectly in character I never would have thought about that either.

11. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    The most distracting thing for me was that the main character looks like he has a dip in his mouth at all times.

12. Casual

Casual Member

Jun 18, 2007
    The lead actor was on a fantastic New Zealand show called Outrageous Fortune.

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The basic premise is ridiculously ridiculous but I liked it and will continue to watch it.

14. Anubys

Anubys KMT Soccer Playa

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Another guilty pleasure show. It's not Strike Back, but I'll take all the nudity and violence cable can dish out!

no more broken bones, though...I hope that doesn't happen often. That is enough to turn me away.

15. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    What I found most interesting is the way Cinemax chose to premiere it. On Saturday 1/12/2013 they had it showing on all the Cinemax channels at the same time. I didn't count, but it was surely close to 10 showings all starting at 9:00 PM.

16. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    It was a Cinemax Free Weekend on DirecTV, and probably Dish and Cable as well.

phox

17. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I enjoyed the second episode as well. I subscribed to Cinemax just to watch this show it seems. Actually, I'm watching the show "Hunted" on Cinemax On Demand.

18. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    How do they compare? I'm watching Banshee, and in general enjoying it. It's not must-see TV, but it's fun and I'm not swamped with shows right now. Like I was when Hunted aired.

So I have all the Hunteds saved up. Worth watching?

19. Anubys

Anubys KMT Soccer Playa

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Not as much guilty pleasure. It's more of the super spy/thief/big conspiracy theory kind of show. I like it but I can certainly see why some people would not.

20. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Hunted is a UK show. It is about a private spy organization. They get hired by companies and individuals to get things done. This first season is about a rich UK dude that is trying to buy a dam in like China. This spy organization was hired by another party that wants to buy the dam so that they win the bid on the dam.

There is also some kind of mysterious back story going on with the main female character.

It isn't the greatest show of all time, but I'm enjoying it. I've watched 6 of the 8 episodes. Subscribing to Cinemax, I have access to their On Demand. So, I'm just watching it off there.