1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Cnewt15, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Cnewt15

Cnewt15 New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a Hughes HDVR2 for Directv that I have been using for a long time. I have already replaced the hd one time a few years back. My question is, the box keeps restarting 3 or 4 times a day. I have cleared all thumbs ratings, and the last time it restarted it got to 9% then stopped, but I could still access the menu using the Dtv button on the remote. I am assuming I have a bad hard drive again. The problem I am having is locating the image to put on a spare drive I have. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I suggest you eliminate any problem with the power supply as a cause or contributor.

As should anyone having problems with an S2 or S3.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Further suggestion, pull the hard drive, hook it to a PC, and run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic long test on it.

(unless you have a GigaByte brand motherboard in that PC)

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The reboots are probably not a hardware problem. Read this thread. Hundreds of DirecTiVo users are affected.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Even if it is DirecTV screwing around with him, that thing's still old enough it's a good idea to check the power supply and the drive.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    True.

There are dozens of people who told me they are still running the original drives in their ancient Series2 DirecTiVo boxes. But the 150+ people that have bought replacement drives from me for those boxes would seem to indicate that hard drives don't last forever...

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    They don't?!?!? :mad:

;)