1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Hard Drive - Replace the Drive or Buy Used Unit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jcatcher, Jul 18, 2014.

1. jcatcher

jcatcher New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    I saw a similar thread but it was from eight years ago.

I'm seeing new drives for around $120, but I also see complete units for as low as $50/inc. shipping. I don't need massive amounts of storage, I'll never use it. What is the best & smartest choice?

2. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Is it a lifetime Tivo? If so, definitely replace the drive..

If not, I'd argue upgrading to a Roamio is probably worth it..

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On the back of your TiVo, where the power cord plugs in, there's a sticker, and on that sticker there's a model number which should start with TCD.

What is that model number?

4. jcatcher

jcatcher New Member

Dec 13, 2006

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I'd only replace it if it were a Lifetime box. I think I'd buy a new one (drive) rather than another unit because drives for that box are already so old that you'd likely be looking at another failed drive sooner rather than later. They are over 8 years old now (Tivo HD).

If it's not a lifetime box then get a Roamio. They are really good. You'll like the new features.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    First thing you do is make sure that the problem is actually the hard drive and not a power supply that's going bad.

Of course it could easily be both.

Good news about the power supply is about $10 worth of replacement capacitors and some soldering and it's better than new.

Good news about the hard drive is that you can go from 160GB to 2TB for about $100, depending on who has what on sale.

I'd recommend the WD20EURS or the WD20EURX

7. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I am still using a couple of those but unless it has lifetime, buy something else, don't repair it is my recommendation. If no lifetime, and you don't want to pay for a new Roamio, I would say buy a used Premiere with lifetime. A used TiVoHD with lifetime is worth consideration as well. A used TiVoHD is going to be around 6 years old now so that is somewhat risky although mine are still working great.

8. jamiecastillo

jamiecastillo New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    better if you replace the hd ;)