1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to back recording same shows glitch

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by brianric, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1 of 29
    brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I recorded five back to back episodes of Pawn Stars. I set up my shows to record 1 minute early and two minutes after. The four shows after watching the first show would show a small scrambled picture and audio lasting about one to two seconds, like there was a freeze, three minutes into the recording, which would correspond to the show that was recording prior to the current show stop recording. I don't know if this is just a problem on the Roamio or not, as I don't recall that problem on my Premiere XL. I'm going to setup the Premiere XL to see if I can duplicate the problem. It's more of an annoyance.

2. Sep 7, 2013 #2 of 29
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, I have seen this and it appears to be a Roamio bug. Have never seen it on a Premiere.

3. Sep 7, 2013 #3 of 29
    Bramble

Bramble New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Camas, WA
    Ah, that explains the glitch I've been seeing at the start of The Colbert Report. Since I have 4 tuners now, I padded the Daily Show by a minute because it was always cutting off in the middle of the Moment of Zen.

4. Sep 8, 2013 #4 of 29
    thenightfly42

thenightfly42 Señor Senior, Jr.

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Confirmed for me as well. Does it also happen when you record back to back shows on the same channel if they are different shows? I guess I'll find out tonight.

I'm on cable with a cablecard, no tuning adapter.

5. Sep 8, 2013 #5 of 29
    apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Yes. Confirmed too on the Roamio Plus (with all 6 tuners working). I thought it might be a issue relating to the 6 tuner issue so disabled 2 tuners to see if that fixed things. Not had a chance to check but sounds like it would be the same if you are having issues with your 4 tuner base Roamio.

6. Sep 9, 2013 #6 of 29
    thenightfly42

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Following up: this also affects different shows recorded back-to-back on the same channel.

Has anyone reported this to TiVo?

7. thenightfly42

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I reported it to TiVo, the agent said it was a known issue (and knew immediately what I was talking about).

8. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I got the same thing on a show I was watching live. Got the glitch when the recording started.

9. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Same here I noticed tonight. Mostly on back to back recordings on the same channel. Audio video glitch for a second or so.

-Kevin

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've seen this as well.

11. shortcut3d

shortcut3d New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I get this issue on back to back recordings as well. Any update on a fix?

12. TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    This glitch should go away when we release an update to Roamio at the end of this month.

The release on Wednesday 10/9 will NOT have this fix.

--Margret

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is this an intentional feature? It looks to me like you guys are adding a feature that will allow overlapping shows on the same channel to share a tuner. Is that what's happening here?

I have some experience with clipping MPEG streams like this :))) so I can probably guess what's causing the problem. Although I am curious how you guys are handling this feature on H.264 streams. With no IDR frames and open GOPs it can be very difficult to find a safe entry point into an H.264 stream. (we've found that in practice broadcasters tend to mark every I frame as a SEI entry point even when they're not)

Anyway... awesome addition!

14. thenightfly42

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks for keeping us so up to date, Margaret!

15. keenanSR

keenanSR Member TCF Club

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    Sorry for pulling this thread back up but it seems it might be related to an odd issue I'm having. Within the first minute of a recording I get a glitch, the audio stream will hiccup(and even breaks the data stream to the AVR/drops out of what ever the codec was) and the image will pixelate, and it seems to be happening on every recording, and it's not only with a Roamio but on a Series 3 as well. It's been happening for a couple of weeks that I can recall, I wasn't really paying too much attention to it as I thought it was just the cable company(Comcast) or the signal from the broadcaster.

Local problem or something with the TiVo? I don't see the same problem when using a Win7 Media Center PC with a CableCARD tuner(HDHomerun Prime/3 tuner).

Thanks

16. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Every recording for you? For me it seems to happen with CBS shows.

-Kevin

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If it's happening on the S3 then it's obviously not the Roamio causing the problem.

18. keenanSR

keenanSR Member TCF Club

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    It could be, I've been watching a lot of CBS shows, I'll be watching some NBC tonight and see if it happens with those. It just seems as if it's been all of them, but I admit I haven't done a thorough study of the problem yet.

For how long have you noticed it?

19. keenanSR

keenanSR Member TCF Club

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    Right, I'm not saying it is a Roamio-only problem, and to be honest as I noted above I haven't studied the issue in the depth yet. I've transferred my recordings from the S3 to the Roamio and it seemed to be happening on all but I'm going to keep some notes starting tonight and through the weekend and try and have some real facts. What was talked about earlier in the thread sounded familiar to me so that's why I posted.

20. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    It may not be a "Roamio" issue, but it certainly could be a "TiVo" issue!