1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back in the TiVo fold after a long hiatus

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Warp, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Warp

Warp New Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Northern Plains
    First, I'm what you might consider a TiVo early adopter. I got my first TiVo in 2000. We took a rather lengthy break from TiVo a few years back, opting instead for a Windows Media Center PC with Xbox 360s for extenders (which has worked quite well). But now Xbox One is coming out (and we will be getting one). And I believe that a TiVo will be a better fit with the Xbox One HDMI passthrough.

So, we're back. I picked up a base Roamio yesterday and got lifetime service on it. If all goes well with Roamio and if the wife likes it, we'll end up with a TiVo mini to extend the experience to another TV.

In a way we missed TiVo, but I think that I'll also miss some things about having a media center PC. I'm looking forward to seeing how Tivo has evolved over the last few years.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Good time to come back. If you'd come back during the Premiere generation you'd probably have regretted it. The Roamio appears to be everything the Premiere was trying to be.

3. Warp

Warp New Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Northern Plains
    Thanks, Dan. I've only had my Roamio set up for a day, so still a lot to discover, but a lot of the basics are familiar to both my wife and I based on our previous experience.

And I must say, my wife really likes it so far. The UI is very responsive and intuitive. It could use a bit of polish here and there, but it's pretty good.

I think we're going to like it.