1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back in the Game - Pilot - 9/25/2013

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought this was a little better than expected. Definitely a Bad News Bears ripoff though. I kind of like the mom/coach character and some of the kids could be funny. It gets a marginal SP for me. I'll give it a few more episodes.

2. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    I thought it was pretty awful but I usually give sitcoms a couple of episodes to find their way. It helps that the mom is easy on the eyes. She looks like Alicia silverstone without the wierd facial expressions.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Didn't like it. James Caan looks terrible. Not enough funny, and several dumb moments.

Usually I give sitcoms a couple of eps to get their groove, but this is my first deleted SP of the season.

4. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Funny, this is the only new sitcom that I didn't delete. Couldn't take the Michael J Fox one or the Robin Williams/SMG one.

I definitely like Maggie Lawson and right now the only annoying characters on the show are the rich widow and her kid.

5. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Maggie Lawson is nice to look at. It wasn't great but I'll give her...I mean the show a few more episodes to see how it goes.

6. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I think it was too much Bad news bears and james caan was ALL schtick. I may watch a couple more episodes and I think if he was less cliche it could work. Even with the bad news bears angle.

Loved the kids kissing the bully - "now he will be scared of me". Great play!

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Caan was too over the top, but I'll continue to watch and hope he gets toned down a bit.

8. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I only watched the show because of Maggie Lawson. I've always liked her on Psych. I ended up liking the show quite a bit.

9. unixadm

unixadm Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Georgia, USA
    Turned off 10 minutes in and deleted the SP....horrible, IMO

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Just dumped it tonight 10 minutes into episode 2.

11. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This and Trophy Wife are the only two new comedies that I really like. They both are (to me) fresh and witty. I laughed a lot more at this show than I did "The Goldbergs," which, except for the end credits last week, I thought was a train wreck.

12. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I wonder if this show makes macho-men uncomfortable? ;)

ok, just saw episode two.....yup, men with low self-esteem won't like this show...too many jokes at their expense. I laughed at most of them...good stuff

13. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    still watching this show...so far liking it more than just about any of the new sitcoms. seems like it's written for adults (well, as high-brow as we can expect from an industry which caters to grade-four English as an intelligence limit).
    love the British lady, dry writing, and general strong female vibe. good stuff in a weak year.

14. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I felt that this show gets better with each episode. I binge-watched on the weekend.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I gave up an episode or two ago. There are far more horrible sitcoms on the air, but this one was just so meh, that with so much else to watch, it wasn't worth keeping for me.

16. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I was wracking my brain, trying to remember where I previously saw the actress who guest starred in last night's episode. Actress Courtney Henggeler played the character Keeley Summers, a high school rival to Maggie Lawson's character, Terry Gannon.

Fortunately, a quick check on imdb solved that. Henggeler played Missy Cooper, Sheldon's fraternal twin on The Big Bang Theory.

That was going to make me lose sleep if I couldn't figure out when and where I saw her before. I'm kinda nuts like that.

17. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Show has been canceled. All 13 filmed episodes are still supposed to air.

18. TriBruin

TriBruin Active Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    While this show was never going to be the next Seinfiekd or Friends, I was enjoying it. I thought the last few episodes they have made the Cannon more relatable. And I definantley would like to see more Maggie Lawson on TV.

19. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    agreed...sorry to see it go, as it was the only new sitcom that seemed a little different. no laugh track, so that was good - weird characters, hysterical uniforms, and a strong female lead. probably would have done well with promotion....reminds me of 'Community', and how hard it was for it to find an audience