1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awake "That's Not My Penguin" OAD 4/5/12 S01E06

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1 of 17
    martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    At the beginning of the episodes, I liked the parallels: the description of schizophrenia voiced by the red shrink while showing footage of the same behavior by Britten.

Interesting that he saw the penguin in both worlds. And that it "directed" him in green world.

I was surprised that Britten didn't have some way to signal to the outside that "there is a problem and don't shoot the guy".

I really hope next week they give us some more insight into what the hell is going on.

2. Apr 6, 2012 #2 of 17
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    At this point, I have no idea what is going on with the two realities.
    But damn if it isn't interesting.

I did like that they showed him having problems keeping the details straight between both realities and I too thought that the contrast of Britton vs. the mental patient was interesting.

As was the fact that Dr. Lee in the facility was a hallucination.

It's a very interesting show and it's a shame it's doing so poorly in the ratings.

3. Apr 6, 2012 #3 of 17
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    As Britten was disoriented for a second when he handed Vega the box of evidence, so was I as a viewer. Nice touch.

4. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I just caught up and I though this was the best episode to date. It's a shame no one is still watching.

5. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    They have managed to make me MILDLY interested in the source of the two universes without that becoming the overwhelming aspect of the show. It makes it interesting to see how the wifeverse and the sonverse work together to help him with his cases. He knows this, and like us, he has no desire to see either of them disappear in a puff of psychological smoke. He is actually better with both of them active. It stays very interesting!

He figured out that his son stole the ring, but I don't know how. Intuition? He didn't know about his son's new girlfriend either. Hmmm...

It's a real shame about the ratings.:(

6. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    The penguin told him.

His son came downstairs, Michael asked him about the ring, son said nothing, went back upstairs. Michael looked back at the penguin and it motioned its head at the direction the son went, and then when Michael reacted like "did that penguin just try to tell me something?" it jerked its head even more. Michael went upstairs and confronted his son, who admitted to taking the ring.

7. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The penguin "told" him. It pointed its beak in the son's direction and then nodded when he looked at it quizzically.

8. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I guess I didn't see it as the penguin TOLD him. Yes, I saw the penguin nod, but I guess I wasn't paying the correct attention.:D

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I'm enjoying this too. It's actually a pretty good show, and the dualiverse is icing on the cake.

Ratings aren't good, and the Cancel/Renew guys say it is doomed. Dead. Kaput. Bubkes.:(

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm pretty sure he's more interested in keeping both his wife and son "alive" than in how it helps him to solve cases.

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just watched this ep over the weekend. I found it interesting at the very end how the lady shrink told him that his hallucinations had given him clues into which of his realities was real, and then that's when they showed Britten coming to the realization that Dr. Lee inside the hospital was a hallucination. So are we to take that as a clue that the Wifeverse, where Dr. Lee is his shrink, is the one that's not real?

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I didn't get that at all, no. I don't think the writers would be so clunky.

Each of the therapists thinks they're the only real one. So this colors everything they say.

13. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I see what you did there. ;)

14. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I am really enjoying this show.

Plus Jason Issacs is hawt.

If it does get canceled, I hope they will at least explain WTF has been going on before it ends!

15. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Amen, amen, amen.

16. steverm2

steverm2 New Member

May 9, 2005
    cape cod,ma
    I am enjoying the show more each episode.I think being with the schizophrenic opened brittens eyes a bit to his own situation.

17. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I'm behind on this show and just watched this episode. I agree it was the best so far.

I was wondering how he was going to go to sleep as a hostage, and I thought it was great that they had him go into a drug-induced sleep, complete with hallucinations in both realities. I am a sucker for mind-F movies (Memento, Fight Club, etc.), but you rarely see it pulled off on TV this well. I totally did not see it coming that the psychiatrist was a hallucination.

I guess this show isn't going to last, but I'll enjoy it while it's still on.