1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Jack Wiring?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by k2ue, Mar 13, 2013.

1. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    My mini is on the way, but I will need to use it with a TV that has DVI and stereo audio inputs. I have a HDMI to DMI Cable, but TiVo is not yet listing the cables for the AV port, from which I need to get stereo audio. Does anybody know how the AV jack is wired, in terms of Tip, Ring 1, Ring2, Body?

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I don't think anybody knows yet, but every jack like that I have ever encountered has body as ground, then tip, ring 1 and ring 2 as the three signals (video, L, R). If you have any cable with the right miniplug and three RCA jacks on the other end, it should work, but the colors on the connectors may be wrong. Trial and error should only take a few minutes.

3. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    TiVo sent me a set of the cables and I was told by PR that they'd be available on TiVo.com at some point -- just checked, not there.

Composite and RL audio:
    Sleeve = ground
    1st ring = right
    2nd ring = left
    Tip = video

component:
    Sleeve = ground
    1st ring = red
    2nd ring = blue
    Tip = green

[​IMG]

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Did they say how much they would charge for the cables?

5. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    How does it know whether there's a composite or component cable connected and which format to send? Also if using component how do you get audio?

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Thanks for that.

FYI from what I could find cables designed for iOS devices use...

Sleeve = video
    1st ring = ground
    2nd ring = right
    Tip = left

Because the ground is in the wrong place no amount of wire swapping will make those work.

In fact that configuration seems to be common because it allows a single port to support either a video cable or a standard pair of headphones for audio only.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Based on the bad reviews for this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Amzer-3-5mm-RCA-Video-Cable/dp/B003YFJ80Q

from people trying to use it with iOS devices it sounds like it has this configuration....

Sleeve = ground
    1st ring = video
    2nd ring = right
    Tip = left

So it should at least be usable with a TiVo Mini if you swap the cables around.

8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Looking at the photos of the back of the mini there appear to be 2 1/8" jacks back there. One labeled "component" and another labeled "A/V".

The component (non-audio) cable goes in component and the composite+stereo goes in "A/V"

9. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Oh yeah thanks for the reminder! I don't have one yet and forgot they're two different jacks.

10. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    Are you counting 1st ring from the Tip, or from the Sleeve?

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think it's pretty obvious he's counting from the sleeve out to the tip. Otherwise the two in the middle would be switched on the list for no logical reason.

12. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    "Measure twice, cut once". The plug alone is available from mouser as P/N 171-7435-EX, for those comfortable with soldering.

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    TiVo agent in chat said that the mini plug cable will be in the TiVo store later to day. I wouldn't count on it. I have the Amazon plugs on the way. I hope they work.

I'm a little confused here. Dan203 are you saying the Amazon plug will work and you only have to experiment at the RGA ends to get the right combo

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The one I linked to "should" work but you'll need to use them in the wrong order on the TV.

A lot of the other ones I looked at had the ground and video connections reversed. Those wont work because there is no way to switch the ground.

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I would think there will be two versions of this cable, color coded accordingly. Notice how the jacks on the back of the mini are color coded.

[​IMG]

The photo of the cable above is color matched to use the component jack.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I hope they sell them as a set.

17. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    I tried my Roku composite, breakout cables. I had to switch the Yellow and White and they work fine.

Another composite set, from an old portable DVD player, worked also. I had to swap all three on them.

18. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Yes, they sent me two cables, one for component and one video composite/audio. I didn't ask how much they'd cost or if the were sold together or separate, sorry.

19. Ckought

Ckought New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Kentucky
  20. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Still not in TiVo store. Probably few people need this, but this is poor planning for TiVo. I'm probably going to change my original plans for the mini and place it with a TV that has hdmi input.