1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic transfers

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mazelady, Aug 18, 2012.

1. mazelady

mazelady New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    I have a garage apartment about 30 feet from my house. I am trying to find the best way to get tv to that apartment without having to run a second cable line and paying another monthly fee.

I have 3 tivos in my house and 1 version of tivo desktop. My son is moving to the garage apartment and wants to be able to watch tv.

I can put one of the 3 tivos (1 premiere 2 series 2) in the garage apartment with a wireless adapter but it will only be able to transfer shows from the other tivos.

Is there a way to set up automatic transfers to the garage tivo? (I know we can do automatic transfers to the desktop)

Can tivos download shows from the internet?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    What cable system? Any shows that have copy protection applied will not be able to be transferred.
    Any shows on the Premiere recorded in HD will not be able to be transferred to a Series 2.

Automatic transfers? :confused: How is the Tivo supposed to know what your son wants to watch? :p;)
    Your son will just have to set up transfers manually, in advance for when he wants to watch TV at the spur of a moment.

A series 2 can download content from Amazon, but it's not free. You have to purchase/rent the material.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    With Tivo Desktop, you are limited to "Pull" recordings/.mpg off another Tivo/PC from that Tivo. Without a cable coax, it wouldn't be able to record anything, but you can have an antenna on a Premiere without an analog digital converter box (Series 2 needs it though).

With PyTivo with the auto-push option, you can "push" shows from the PC.

4. mazelady

mazelady New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    The Tivo desktop has the feature where you can pick a show to automatically transfer all episodes of a series from your tivo to your pc (like all the NCIS episodes).

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, but not in the other direction, TO a Tivo. To do that, you would have to be in front of the TV/Tivo and select shows to transfer.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Another monthly fee for what? Most CATV companies do not charge anything for additional outlets.

Why do you say that? Although it is not very good at it, TDT allows one to transfer videos from the PC to a remote TiVo.

Any transfer to an S2 is going to be pretty slow. Is that the objection? If so, you might pick up an S3 with lifetime service on ebay.