1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - The sale is back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! The PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)." https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale#/secondchancelifetimesale

Automatic SkipMode Project Proposal

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RoamioJeff, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1 of 174
    RoamioJeff

RoamioJeff Unregistered User

May 8, 2014
    Okay, I'm not trying to make any money, not trying to sell anything, and not starting a KickStarter project. This is just a project idea for a hobby enthusiast with more time and smarter than me. :)

With the rollout of SkipMode, it would seem trivial to put something together to make it automatic. Using something like a Raspberry PI or Arduino, all someone would need to do is some clever programming.

With SkipMode there is a very unique ding-a-ling notification in the audio. That could be sampled and used as a reference, and compared to a tap off of the live audio. When detected, an IR signal for the 'D' or Channel Up key could be sent out from an IR emitter. This hypothetical device would always be "listening" for the unique notification sound, and when heard automatically skip the commercial break for the user. Maybe someone has a more elegant solution.

It seems trivial. Am I wrong? Anyone out there feel froggy?

2. Mar 7, 2016 #2 of 174
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No ding for anyone using Dolby digital. Which should be everyone using an AVR.

JBDragon and bill875 like this.
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #3 of 174
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ

Commercial free broadcasts are available from the right places typically within in seconds of the show airing on the east coast. Why go through a more complicated measure rather than just download it?

4. Mar 7, 2016 #4 of 174
    gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    By that logic, why even have a TiVo in the first place? ;)

Besides TonyD79's very salient point, that doesn't sound too difficult. As a Dolby Digital user, I don't get the dings...does anyone know if they use the same tone for other TiVo-related notifications (back before the AVR, I seem to recall the commercial thumbs-up pop-ups had dings, for instance)?

5. Mar 7, 2016 #5 of 174
    RoamioJeff

May 8, 2014
    The SkipMode notification sounds (to me, anyway) to be unique and distinct.

6. Mar 7, 2016 #6 of 174
    RoamioJeff

May 8, 2014
    I'm confused. What does this have to do with the topic, or TiVo?

7. Mar 7, 2016 #7 of 174
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Because using tools such as PyTivo, that have been discussed on this board, can already give you the same outcome as what you are proposing.

8. Mar 7, 2016 #8 of 174
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The analog output in TiVo is always active and will always play the ding even if connected to an AVR and listening to DD audio.

9. Mar 7, 2016 #9 of 174
    RoamioJeff

May 8, 2014
    Thank you. Well aware. That appears to be a different topic. This topic is about automating SkipMode for those who are interested in just hitting play on a recorded show.

10. Mar 7, 2016 #10 of 174
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I'm just saying that you can already do that. I hit play on my Tivo and I get a whole show without ads. It's all done automatically.

11. Mar 7, 2016 #11 of 174
    gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Interesting...something I'll have to play with.. My RPi2 is doing triple duties right now as an MAME/Retro-console game emulator, IOT hub, and backup scheduler, so I don't want to add any more tasks to it, But I'm planning on moving the games to a RPi3 at some point, which'll free up plenty of cycles for something like this on the 2.
    Even if we ignore the legality(we're also talking about skipping ads, so moral arguments have already shot right out the door ;-) ). There's still an ongoing cost (bandwidth) involved with the download and push approach, as well as some appreciable delay until the show downloads to a local pc and then transfers to the TiVo. For <$40, the Pi could 'just work' as soon as skipmode is made available.

12. Mar 7, 2016 #12 of 174
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The only issue I see with a system like this is the end points of the segments don't seem to be that accurate. It often takes 10-15 seconds after the commercials start for the little banner to pop up and ding reminding you about skip. That could be annoying.

13. Mar 7, 2016 #13 of 174
    RoamioJeff

May 8, 2014
    Interesting. Most of my SkipMode notifications have been near instantaneous, or within 3 seconds. And I've probably watched about 50 hours of SkipMode-enabled programming since SkipMode was activated on my Roamio. But that is a valid point, as is seems different people's mileage seems to vary with a few TiVo features (SkipMode alignments, Audio dropouts, Blue Circles, etc.). I guess I've been lucky in not having these issues :)

14. Mar 7, 2016 #14 of 174
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've been using SkipMode on my Bolt since last October, so I've watched hundreds of SkipMode enabled shows. Some are spot on, some are way off. I'm sure a system like this would work well enough for most people just might be a little annoying on some shows.

15. Mar 7, 2016 #15 of 174
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Talk about people being lazy, for one button push per AD, I remember having to get up with my first piano key VCR and having to push FF and go back and forth to get by the ADs, this single button push from my chair, at least to me, is the best.

16. Mar 7, 2016 #16 of 174
    the block

the block Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    Would be nice if Skipmode would go a step further and clip out and delete the actual commercial itself. In a 60 minute show, there's 20 minutes of commercials. As a result, 1/3 of your TiVo's recordings are commercials. Could definitely store more shows if we're not storing commercials that people only skip over anyways.

17. Mar 7, 2016 #17 of 174
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

I hope you realize you don't have to wait until that banner comes up.. Just hit channel up (or the letter key) right when the commercial starts.. or heck, ANY time if you want to jump in the middle of the show to the beginning of the next segment..

18. Mar 7, 2016 #18 of 174
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    1) Studies have shown that most people DO NOT skip over commercials.. yes, even with DVRs..
    2) the skip marks ARE NOT ACCURATE.. While I would love this ability (actually, I would PAY good money for the ability to do 'minimal' in/out editing on Tivo recordings directly on the Tivo), basing it on the commercial skip markers would MISS SHOW.. that would make me very mad.
    3) This would almost certainly be lawsuit bait, if the theories about this being done "at user action" is really the reason why this is tolerated but not more automatic skipping... (IANAL, but it seems to me that literally deleting it from the hard drive is more "severe" than theoretical automatic skipping.)

19. Mar 7, 2016 #19 of 174
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I have had ZERO skip markers that missed show.

bradleys likes this.
  20. Mar 7, 2016 #20 of 174
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not the only one who has noted this, btw.