1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic Setting of Thumbs Up When Recording?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by HopDevil, Apr 20, 2012.

1. HopDevil

HopDevil New Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I'm new to TiVo and the whole idea of suggestions, but am seeing something I would prefer to disable if possible ...
    Whenever I set a manual recording (using the guide), TiVo will automatically give the newly recorded program a thumbs up - this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Aren't suggestions based on what I like and not what I record? Or is the assumption that I only record the things I like ;) which isn't always true.
    Can I turn off this specific "auto-tagging"?

2. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    If you set up recordings from the iPhone/iPad app it doesn't do this. But yeah its annoying. Keep your gf/wife away from that remote or your suggestions will be full of the View and Real Housewives.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Regarding suggestions, that is the way it is set up. Suggestions are based on what you specifically record. It's like a default setting that you are only supposed to record stuff you actually like.

It's easy enough to remove that automatic thumbs up by going to the info page of the recorded show (the page you enter when you select a show from the Now Playing/My Shows menu) and hitting the thumbs down button.

You can also go in and review/change all your thumb ratings by going to the Tivo Suggestions menu and then hitting 'Enter' on the remote.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You can also go in and review/change all some of your thumb ratings...
    Only programs that are in the current guide data will be shown in Suggestions.

5. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think you're confusing the Tivo Suggestions menu and the Review Thumbs menu.

The Tivo Suggestions menu is based off of the guide data. It lists the shows the Tivo thinks you would like to record.

The Review Thumbs menu (which you get to via the Tivo Suggestions menu by pressing 'Enter') lists shows outside of the guide data.
    For instance, my Review Thumbs menu currently lists several shows (Rookie Blue, Terra Nova, The River, Combat Hospital, Prime Suspect, to name a few) that are no longer in the guide data.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If the goal of suggestions is to find and suggest things that you might like, why would you NOT want the thumb added to items you record to help it generate suggestions?

That's the part I'm lost on, it's a huge plus to suggestions logic to know what you like to watch and find you more things like it.
    Between automatic single thumbs and you editing thumbs, that's how it would build the accuracy into suggestions it wants to record for you.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    You record things you don't like? Or do you really record things you don't want others to know you like? When would you watch a recording you do not like? Just trying to understand.

Personally, I like the feature, but I know it exists and will eliminate the thumb on say, a first run show I'm not sure I want showing up again.

These are suggestions, not wishlists or season passes. How else should it judge something you may want to watch?

8. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Well, if the scenario is that your SO comes in and starts recording stuff that you hate on YOUR Tivo, that will screw up YOUR suggestions (if that is the case, it's time for his/her Tivos :p).

9. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Maybe it is a wishlist item?

10. stevewjackson

stevewjackson Steve W. Jackson

Nov 2, 2007
    Montgomery,...
    Because I frequently record a show that (a) my wife asked me to record that I won't likely watch or (b) a show that looks like it might be interesting, so that I'll decide after I watch it whether it's worthy of a thumb rating. So I do NOT want an automatic thumb rating just because I asked to record it.

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You're right. Sorry.

12. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    In the old days, the TiVo suggestions algorithm treated thumbs given automatically as basically being a half thumb even though it displayed a full thumb. In other words programs manually giving a thumbs up held more weight than ones automatically given a thumbs up. I have no idea what it does now-a-days.

13. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Yes to what morac said.

There used to be (and who knows if it is still true) two flavors of thumbs. Explicit thumbs (the kind you punched in) and implied thumbs (the automatic kind generated when you record a show).

I sometimes remove an implied/automatic thumb. It really isn't a lot of work to do so.

I guess the question is, which is more annoying/time consuming? Removing unwanted thumbs or adding wanted thumbs.

14. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If you always had to add your thumbs manually your TiVo wouldn't get you™.

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Just manually thumb it down later..

I too don't see how it can figure out "what you like" without basing it on what you record!

I'm personally a person who likes a lot of tweakability, but automatically giving a thumbs up to something you record is just so much an obvious "duhh", that NOT doing that is such an outlier position.

16. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Depends on the situation. It could figure out what you like based on what you manually rate. The current setup doesn't bother me as I have the recording of suggestions disabled. It's 6 one way a half dozen the other to me.

Do you have a citation to back up the outlier claim or are you simply assuming that anything that isn't in line with your personal preference is an "outlier"? Auto thumbs up is an "obvious duhh" to you because it fits your preference, not because it's "obvious".

17. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I almost always do that.
    What I miss is "the old days" when you could remove a thumbs up by giving it a thumbs down resulting in a neutral that stayed that way - if you recorded that program again, it wouldn't get an automatic green thumb because you had already rated it. That changed years ago. Now you can remove the rating putting it back to neutral, but if you record that program again, it automatically gets a green thumb again.

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, because it's obvious... Tivos are supposed to be simple, and the obvious thing is for suggestions to be based upon things you're already recording _and/or_ manually add thumbs to. I would suspect that most people don't even manually add thumbs to other recordings.

19. Shogun82

Shogun82 New Member

Apr 28, 2012
    States
    Wow I didn't know that's partially how it finds things I like... Good to know