1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Hop (The Hopper)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Ziggy86, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I was reading that Dish Networks hopper DVR can automatically skip commercials.

Do you think this feature will be available on Tivo in the future rather than having to fast forward?

2. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    They're probably waiting to see how all the legal issues settle out between Dish and the networks that sued them over it.

3. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I wonder if Dish does something to the program so their Hopper and tell when the commercial will start and Finish, if so I am sure Tivo can't do that since they are not the provider like Verizon etc.

4. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Besides being the most valuable feature that Tivo could offer to distinguish itself from the competition, it will never be available.

5. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Look up ReplayTV.

6. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    Dish bought their assets and technology. Thus they can use the commercial skip technology that they defended in court and won.

7. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Interesting. They also bought Sling and provide that service with the latest hopper.

Dish is on the right track.

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    AFAIK, their commercial skip works ONLY with the PrimeTime Anytime feature, and ONLY starting 24 hours after the original airing.

So, for example, it doesn't work with cable originated programming, and doesn't even work if you 'save off' the PTA recordings (to live outside the ~7 day window for PTA recordings).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am.

9. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
  10. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I thought the suite was put on hold when SONICblue
    went bankrupt and Dish agreed not to use it.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    They won? then why did all models after the lawsuit not include the autoskip feature?

just checked wikipedia
    They didn't win.