1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio question: TV App vs. Tivo Audio

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Tallguy62, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Tallguy62

Tallguy62 New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    I have an audio question

I just bought a Panny TC-P65VT50 (awesome) which has built-in Netflix. My Tivo Premiere is connected via HDMI to a Pioneer VSX-820 AV receiver (no HDMI ARC).

I can use the TV's Netflix application and have it output audio to the AV receiver via optical audio, but Tivo audio keeps playing so I have two programs' audio at once coming out of the receiver. (Only solution - a hack - is to play a recording on Tivo and pause it. I don't want to spend 5 years having to do that.)

If I buy an HDMI ARC capable receiver, can I hook it up as shown and expect the sound problem to be solved?

TIVO -> HDMI -> ARC Receiver -> HDMI -> TV

Basically, will the HDMI ARC feature recognize that the TV is returning audio to the receiver when I use its Netflix app and cut off Tivo audio automatically?

Note: I know I could just use the Tivo Netflix app, instead of the TV's. I already am doing that - we have two Netflix accounts (adults vs. kids) and I want to access both - one via Tivo and one via TV app.

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    what you're saying should work, but you can't you keep the current receiver and set the optical to a different input on the receiver and switch to it when you want Netflix from the TV?

Choosing The Input Signal - Page 41

Set DVR/VCR to HDMI and TV/SAT to O1

3. dboff01

dboff01 New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    I agree with this suggestion.

I have a similar setup with my Samsung TV and Marantz receiver. When choosing to watch TV apps, I have the receiver switch specifically to the toslink input (not Tivo HDMI input).

This does, however, create audio lipsync problems for me, so I tend to avoid the use of TV apps and instead use a Roku.