1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio out of sync problems on TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by StriderWA, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1 of 112
    StriderWA

StriderWA New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    The scoop:

Comcast - Snohomish County, WA, 2 Motorola S-cards

When viewing recorded HD content, I'm getting audio sync problems (the video is a few seconds behind). This only seems to happen with HD content...

Has anyone else experienced audio sync issues like this? I didn't see a thread for this, just the squelching sound during any system beeps (which I still get)

I noticed this during 30 Rock, my THD is connected to my Vizio 37" LCD via HDMI...

2. Sep 1, 2007 #2 of 112
    richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Happened to us once or twice. Try rebooting both your TV and TiVo (unplug both for about 15 seconds; plug your TV and then TiVo back in). That will reintroduce the HDMI "handshake" between TiVo and your TV.

If that doesn't fix it try doing the same thing with a new HDMI cable...or temporarily run composite audio/video (RCA yellow and L/R out) from TiVo to your TV. If everything is good either way you may have a bad HDMI cable.

3. Sep 1, 2007 #3 of 112
    ConfusedBob

ConfusedBob New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I just had a similar problem last night watching HD channel on my new S3 over Verizon FioS. I have not tried restarting but will do if it happens again.

4. Sep 2, 2007 #4 of 112
    mauschein

mauschein New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I have audio sync problems as well. I have cablevision with SA cards. For me the problems seem to show up only on few channels (startzhd, and world cinema). I rebooted the system but I still get occasional recordings out of sync. I am fairly confident my cables are ok (since I swapped them and tried different connections) Since it does not happen with all the channels, my guess is that the source is either "bad" or "incompatible" with tivo...

5. Sep 2, 2007 #5 of 112
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    TNT-HD is known to be out of sync periodically, regardless of provider.

Since in your case, the problem is NBC-HD, you may want to tune the OTA channel (if you have an antenna) to confirm whether the problem is specific to your NBC feed. It is common for affiliates to fudge their audio sync while upgrading, replacing, or reconfiguring their broadcast equipment. Usually, affilates fix the problems within a few days as people call and complain.

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 112
    astrodonkey

astrodonkey New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    I'm in Woodinville, just down the road from you. Every single show I've watched in HD has audio sync problems. I am using component video (no HDMI). It is really annoying, pisses me off to no end.

7. Oct 15, 2007 #7 of 112
    stormkeeper

stormkeeper New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    I also have a S3 with HDMI and my audio is also out of sync on my HD channels. This issue started AFTER the software upgrade. I've tried resetting both the TV and S3. Then just the S3.

Nothing will correct it. I know the HDMI cable is good, I've tried others. I'm thinking something with the software upgrade is causing it.

8. Nov 6, 2007 #8 of 112
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Has anyone pinned down the syncing problems? They're showing up on my TiVo HD. Very irritating.

9. Nov 7, 2007 #9 of 112
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Georgia
    As others have mentioned, there is sometimes (often?) a source-bias to these issues. If you're having audio synch problems on every channel, then I'd look to your audio system and figure your cabling is part of the problem. Otherwise, figure that the problem is at the source, and you need an audio system that will provide you the ability to adjust audio synch on the fly. The TiVo, itself, is not likely the source of audio synch problems, and therefore there is nothing in the device to "adjust" audio synch.

10. Nov 7, 2007 #10 of 112
    rkemmer

rkemmer New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Hi,

I have a new TIVO HD box which exhibits a picture/sound sync. problem on occasion.

I've only observed it during playback of previously recorded HD programs. It goes like this:

- At some point in the playback, the picture seems to stutter.
    - Then there is a very noticable delay in the audio. You see lips move and then about a second later, you hear the word.
    - Pressing the "instant Replay" button on the remote brings the picture and sound back into sync.

I can reproduce the problem by rewinding to before the point of difficulty and then letting it play. The same stutter and delay shows up at the same place in the recording. I've only done this once, but will try again the next time I get the problem.

I've called Tivo about this and they suggested re-booting the box. This didn't solve the problem as I still get the occasional problem.

I'll be getting back to them after I see if this occurs on either SD TV or live broadcasts. (Which, to date, I haven't observed.)

I'm using Scientific Atlanta cable cards with Comcast.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

Additional Information:

I have a Sharp Aquos LCD TV and use HDMI for the feed from TIVO. My audio comes from the Optical output of the TV into a Pioneer tuner/amp.

11. Nov 7, 2007 #11 of 112
    bktraveler

bktraveler New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    I am having issues with HD playback. I noticed it last night when I was watching a recording of Carpoolers. For the first 5 min of playback the sound is in sync with everyones lips. Then like others have noticed there is a little glitch with the audio and video that happens right before the sound/lips go out of sync. Then as the recording plays on the sync starts getting worse. I will mess around with it tonight and post my findings.

Comcast 2x Scards
    Tivo HD
    Toshiba 32" Regza

12. Nov 7, 2007 #12 of 112
    JohnBrowning

JohnBrowning New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    This is typically a source problem.

13. Nov 7, 2007 #13 of 112
    BrianAZ

BrianAZ Back on the wagon

Aug 13, 2007
    Chandler, Az
    I just started having this issue a few days ago. Same as others have indicated, a stutter, then the audio/video is out of sync... the video appears to continue to stutter. FF/RW or replay fixes temporarily.. until it happens again. Seems to happen on various channels, HD and SD.

14. Nov 7, 2007 #14 of 112
    rkemmer

rkemmer New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    JohnBrowing states: "This is typically a source problem."

Can you expand on this and point to who/what may be at fault and suggest any way to fix it?

Thanks,

Dick

15. Nov 7, 2007 #15 of 112
    ErictheHank

ErictheHank New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Topeka, KS
    Are you sitting in my living room right now? I have the EXACT same setup including brands and methods of hookup. Unfortunately hitting instant replay does not resync the audio for me so I have a feeling that it is a source issue for me although I have no way of saying for sure.

16. Nov 8, 2007 #16 of 112
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you download the recording to your PC, do you see the A/V sync issue there? If so, that would confirm that it was a problem with the original broadcast (or the result of something your cable company did).

17. Nov 8, 2007 #17 of 112
    BrianAZ

BrianAZ Back on the wagon

Aug 13, 2007
    Chandler, Az
    What if something on the Tivo took a fine broadcast and in the process of writing it to the disk or some potential processing (too ignorant here to provide specifics), introduced the errors/stuttering into the recording? Is that not possible for some reason?

18. Nov 8, 2007 #18 of 112
    danorton

danorton New Member

Dec 3, 2004
    I'm seeing this on one channel only and only on HD programming on that channel.

The video lags the audio by about 500 msecs on KLRUDT, but works fine on other local HD channels with HD programming.

If I view the channel directly from my TV's antenna, the audio and video are fine.

This seems to be a bug with the way HD TiVo decodes certain audio streams.

(See attached diagram.)

Attached Files:

19. Nov 14, 2007 #19 of 112
    phanophish

phanophish New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I'm having the same issue on some HD channels, but not all.. Cox cable. My problem is most prominent on my HD feed of local ABC affiliate. HD series 3 Tivo, connected via HDMI to Television and via optical for audio to my Marantz receiver. Typically a 500-1000ms differential between audio and video. I also get occasional dropouts where audio goes away completely for about 3-5 seconds. Not on all channels and does seem to be worse on recorded programs rather than watching live.

Has anyone ever come up with a consistent solution or had Tivo confirm a bug?

20. Nov 14, 2007 #20 of 112
    rkemmer

rkemmer New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that I haven't had the loss of sync. problem since my last post on 11/07.

Version 9.2a software downloaded yesterday. Still hoping the problem has gone away. Or better yet, been fixed...

Dick