1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio hook up Roamio basic

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DB_0673, Jun 13, 2014.

1. DB_0673

DB_0673 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Can I run the HDMI to my tv and also run the optical digital to an older receiver (does not have HDMI)? Will the both output audio simultaneously?
    Also the yellow RCA plug says A/V, does that mean audio or video. Yellow used to mean audio in the old days. Could I use a stereo Rca wire and then a splitter to go to left and right inputs on this old receiver. ( if dig optical is not an option)
    Thanks

My Roamio won't arrive until next tues so I am just trying to be ready.
    I did not know it did not have rca outs until I found a pic of the rear of the unit
    Dan

2. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    On the back of the Roamio Basic the yellow RCA hole is for composite output, and is only good for standard definition picture and analog audio. You need a composite breakout cable like the one TiVo sells here.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

3. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    I can state the optical Toslink and hdmi both output audio at the same time on the basic. If you need stereo output rca, you will need the breakout cable as previously noted.

The breakout cable also supports componant video output however there are issues will it outputting both hdmi video and component at the same time (just for the video output).

4. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yellow never meant audio. Yellow RCA connectors are for composite video (480i SD video only). Red and white or sometimes black are for left/right analog stereo audio.
    The breakout for the Roamio basic only supports composite AV, not component video. You're mistaking that with the breakout connections on the mini.

5. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    The basic only outputs composite, not component, video. The plus and pro have component.

6. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Thanks, me bad as composite and component I always get them mixed up.

7. DB_0673

DB_0673 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Thanks, I just realized that the old receiver I have does not even have optical. I will look at the breakout cable, or probably need to replace that receiver.

Dan

8. DB_0673

DB_0673 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    anyone try or recommend sending the HDMI to the A/V receiver first, then out of the receiver to the TV (HDMI out) or just toslink to A/V and HDMI to TV

thanks
    Dan

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Standard is to go to the receiver first and then to the TV. That's how I've always had my TiVos connected. Even before HDMI. It works without issue.

10. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    You should just make this your signature and you wouldn't have to keep typing it with every post. [elbow jab to ribs] :D :p :rolleyes: ;) :)