1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atlantic Broadband To Roll With TiVo’s Roamio DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bradleys, Oct 15, 2013.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
  2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    $10/month to lease the Plus seems reasonable, but then an additional $10/month for each Mini seems overpriced in comparison.

3. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Sounded odd to me that a mini is the same price, what if I wanted multiple Roamio's, could I do that?

I also wonder if they could purchase a retail Mini to work on the same network and save money...

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    To the MSO it is just an outlet. They don't really rent boxes based on their actual worth anyways. In the stand alone world, it doesn't make any sense however.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Exactly. Seems like a no brainer to go all Roamios if monthly cost is the same. I'm sure it would come loaded with "additional outlet fees", "guide", or "DVR" fees or some other nonsense or restricted to just 1 per household.

I have a feeling $10/month is not the whole picture though. If it is, that is a spectacular price since right now it would be something like $800 to buy a Plus with lifetime which is a breakeven point of 80 months.

6. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    It must be a typo... I think the Mini fee is correct (expensive) and the Roamio fee is wrong.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That is a steal compared to what most cable companies charge for a DVR. Typically a two tuner DVR is around $16 a month. To be able to lease a Roamio Plus for $10 is a great deal. That is even less than it costs formonthly TiVo service when you buy the Roamio yourself.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There could be a separate DVR fee. That is how Charter does it anyways. So you pay X dollars to enable "dvr service" on your account and Y dollars per box.

9. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    That's how TWC did it when I left them in 2007 or 2008. I was paying like $10.00 for an SA8300 DVR-enabled box, $7.00 for DVR Service and $0.xx for the remote control. I'm sure all have gone up since then.

It almost sounds like users will just pay an extra $10.00 to get the TiVo experience. So whatever they currently pay per month for standard Atlantic Broadband DVR capability they can use TiVo for that amount plus $10.00/mo.

"TiVo Service from Atlantic Broadband is included in our TiVo Double Play and TiVo Play bundles. For existing DVR customers, TiVo Service from Atlantic Broadband is just an additional $10. TiVo Minis are available for $9.99 per month."

10. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    http://www.atlanticbb.com/for-home/tv/tivo

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/10/30/3060222/atlantic-broadband-is-first-to.html

Bundle Pricing
    The TiVo service is built into Atlantic Broadband’s new suite of Double and Triple Play Bundles at no extra charge, offering significantly more options and greater value than satellite and Telco providers can provide to include blazingly fast Internet speeds and unlimited local and long distance calling anywhere in U.S. With the new TiVo bundle, Atlantic Broadband customers will receive extra features like Whole Home HD, Home Networking Support and free movies and original series from providers like Starz and Encore. Bundle prices start as low as $99.99 per month. Existing Atlantic Broadband DVR customers can easily upgrade to the new TiVo Service for only $10 more per month.

11. Neil 420

Neil 420 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Miami,...
    I ordered the bundle yesterday. The installer is due Monday, tomorrow, morning. Here is my thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=516277

The top tier triple play bundle in my neighborhood includes 75mbps internet, cable tv with the premium channels, landline phone, and what appears to be the Roamio Plus. They say it is the Tivo T6 with storage for up to 1,000 tv shows*. They also include a Tivo Mini for a second TV. All of that costs less than $160/mo for the first year with a $20/mo increase the second year and another $20/mo increase the third year, but I'm not obligated to stay with the service. I can cancel at anytime without penalty.

For my other TVs they have regular cable boxes w/o dvr or even premium channels. They charge $10/mo for the extra Minis. They say that retail Minis wont work on the system.

*EDIT: I checked the faq and they specify that the 1,000 tv shows are half hour. They also say 300 (half hour) HD tv shows. That makes it sound like the Roamio Plus, no the Pro.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That's a new one. 300 half hour HD shows.

13. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    The retail minis won't work on the system because the cable company doesn't allow you to use your own account (at least with mediacom, from personal experience). So, you can't link your own boxes to the one from them.

From personal experience (again), and what I've read on these things with multiple providers, your best option is to grab the box on your own, get the cablecard from your company and go that way. These cable company boxes are a very dumbed down version, not including some of the pretty basic functions of a real TiVo box itself

14. Neil 420

Neil 420 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Miami,...
    Thanks for the information. I checked the AtlanticBB web site. Here is what they say:

http://www.atlanticbb.com/support/tivo

15. Neil 420

Neil 420 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Miami,...
    This is interesting too:

When I spoke with the sales department to place my order, they told me that retail Mini's wont work.

16. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    Be very, very careful , that's all I'm going to say.
    Your cable company is (obviously) going to tell you what they want you to hear to get you to buy their product. Make sure you call them and verify that you can link to an existing TiVo account (if you already have one), because many have said that they can't.

What they aren't going to tell you you're most likely missing (at least with the Premiere boxes). This MAY vary from provider to provider, but it's far, far too common to just dismiss:

#1: Netflix is removed
    #2: Hulu + is removed
    #3: MLB.TV - removed
    #4: Amazon - removed

If you use any of those, you may want to verify that your provider's box actually has those features

17. Neil 420

Neil 420 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Miami,...
    I think you are correct. I don't see any of those services on my Tivo. On the other hand, I get the AtlanticBB video on demand. In the past I was very unhappy with my AtlanticBB service, so I was hesitant to purchase equipment that would be useless if I switch to the competing TV services. My only other options are DirecTV, Dish, and U-verse. None of those work with the Tivo Roamio.

So far, it looks like Tivo combined with AtlanticBB is better than the alternatives. I haven't tried Dish yet, although I hear that the dvr will skip commercials automatically. That sounds nice. The U-verse bundle has some advantages too. I think I'll stick with this Tivo/ABB triple play for a year before I reevaluate the alternatives. September is a good time to make a change because that gives me the summer to catchup on watching all my recordings.

18. Neil 420

Neil 420 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Miami,...
    What does that mean? Transferring a lifetime subscription? Mine expired when I cancelled DirecTV. I got my money's worth on that. It was only $200, I kept it 12 years and it was way ahead of the alternatives most of that time. For the last year and a half I used U-verse. It's nice to be back to Tivo. I always loved the Tuner Swap and the beeps.

19. Neil 420

Neil 420 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Miami,...
    BTW, I'm a little disappointed that I can't do Tuner Swap on the Mini.

20. randian

randian Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Southeast...
    A good move for ABB, because I thought they had a very poor channel lineup when I had them ~3 years ago. If it wasn't for their monopoly I'd have switched to Comcast.