1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At this point... OOH Streaming is Pretty Much UNUSABLE

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gbruyn, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 21, 2013 #1 of 148
    gbruyn

gbruyn Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Was hoping the latest iOS update fixed some of the "issues" that they said it did, but I'm having the same problem I've had in the past. At times, my Streaming device on my Roamio Plus just stops working and can't be found. This happens when I'm away from home in another city where I can do really anything after this happens. It was streaming fine for a bit, then stopped and I tried to reload the stream. Now it's stuck with "Can't find streaming device."

... Work in Progress I guess :)

2. Nov 21, 2013 #2 of 148
    Andrel

Andrel Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Does your roamio get the error c133? Mine does that and I need to disconnect and re coneect my network cable.

3. Nov 21, 2013 #3 of 148
    gbruyn

gbruyn Member

Mar 20, 2012
    No I'm not getting that error.

... as an update to my first post: I tried streaming setup 10-15 minutes later and it found it. Now it seems to be working again. Who knows.

On another note, I saw on Tivo's page that they are actually using a PROXY for OOH streaming. I'm sure that extra "Layer" of a connection isn't helping with the speed and connectivity of everything. It does say on their website that a future update will allow you to directly connect to your Tivo box.

4. Nov 22, 2013 #4 of 148
    hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    In the iOS app, you can enable port forwarding. I haven't messed with it though. I had an issue where when I was away the power went out. I was never able to connect to OOH services after that.

5. Nov 22, 2013 #5 of 148
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    where on the ios app can you enable port forwarding? .I don't see it.

6. Nov 22, 2013 #6 of 148
    hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Press Settings Icon or goto settings on iphone app
    Press System Information
    Press Full System Information

At this point it has loaded a webpage. The third button down is labeled Out-of-Home

Press that and you see the port forwarding info and the GLIDE proxy info

7. Nov 23, 2013 #7 of 148
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I tried to checkmark port forwarding and test it .

This function must not be operational at this point. It would not accept a checkmark.

I have gone into the router to do this at this point

I still am having lots of problems with streaming outside the home. It just doesn't work reliably at this point.

8. Nov 24, 2013 #8 of 148
    dianebrat

dianebrat drastically off narrative TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's not the process itself, there's got to be something in your loops of devices making it worse. (I know, I'm not a lot of help)

I routinely stream to the gym wifi when I'm at work and I get a consistent stream experience to my iphone 5.

9. Nov 24, 2013 #9 of 148
    MikePA1

MikePA1 New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    I streamed at a Wyndham hotel last week. This is not a Stream or iPad app issue.

Look within you own network, grasshopper. :D

10. Nov 24, 2013 #10 of 148
    gbruyn

gbruyn Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Trust me. I'm an IT professional and know it's not on my end. I travel every week for work and thus have many more opportunities to use this and see the issues... Sometimes it does work. But many times I have issues

... Grasshopper

11. Nov 24, 2013 #11 of 148
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013

I have multiple times setup my iphone to stream and when I get outside the home ,all the stream buttons are grayed out as if I never set it up .

I have a Roamio plus connected via Ethernet cable with 20mbps upload speed!

I have opened ports / setup DHCP reservation for the Roamio on my Apple Extreme a/c router

I cannot so anything more then that .

Streaming is still not reliable at this point

12. Nov 24, 2013 #12 of 148
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013

I know your telling the truth. The streaming is not ready for prime time

13. Nov 24, 2013 #13 of 148
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Completely disagree

14. Nov 24, 2013 #14 of 148
    hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I think you mean you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :eek:

I have had a slingbox since the original. When the streaming (actually downloading) functionality stopped working for me last week on the roamio, I switched over the slingbox and had no issues.

I actually prefer the download functionality over streaming, especially now that it doesn't time out out of home. The AV quality is really good. Almost all my travel use cases except sports work with download.... almost.

The Roamio/Stream network control is a black box. We have no ability to override or troubleshoot, even if you could VPN or SSH into your home network. If it doesn't work, you are SOL for the most part.

As I posted earlier, it looks like Tivo is going to enable some port forwarding action going forward. So that should help A LOT!

15. Nov 24, 2013 #15 of 148
    dianebrat

dianebrat drastically off narrative TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    that needs the qualifier of "for you"
    For myself and others, streaming OOH has been reliable and usable, it's not always the best quality, but it works very well for some of us.

16. Nov 24, 2013 #16 of 148
    sneagle

sneagle Addicted Member TCF Club

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I too find it unreliable. Frequent disconnects even in my home.

Plus transferring programs is slow and recently several shows transferred then had errors.

17. Nov 25, 2013 #17 of 148
    MikePA1

MikePA1 New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Agree.

Gotta give people the Hubris Award who think because they are having a problem, everyone else must be having the same problem or start threads with titles that assume the same. Oh, and since they're an 'IT expert' or it works with other hardware and different technology, it must be TiVo's problem. :roll eyes:

P.S.
    The Hubris Award with Oak Cluster will be given in a post or two when the person takes offense at the possibility of there being ANY problem with their home network and I am accused of being a TiVo FanBoy.

18. Nov 25, 2013 #18 of 148
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Funny thing is the Monsoon Vulkano I use to stream video outside the house , which is connected wirelessly to my router , unlike the Roamio which is hard wired ! , works just fine .

19. Nov 25, 2013 #19 of 148
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Both my Slingbox and internal Roamio Pro Stream work out of home. Streaming video quality for the Stream compared to Slingbox over same WiFi connection is terrible, so I use downloads @medium quality instead and now with latest iOS App that is working well for me. My ISP upstream speed is just 2 Mbps. Oddly enough it from many posts I've seen here so far it almost appears that those with 20+ Mbps upload speeds (FIOS) are having more trouble than others.

Perhaps Stream having to go through a TiVo Proxy server may explain why some are having trouble while others are not.

20. Nov 25, 2013 #20 of 148
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Yes going through a proxy server is not ideal .The sooner we can connect direct ,the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.