1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arrow - S01E23 - "Darkness On the Edge Of Town"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JYoung, May 9, 2013.

1. May 9, 2013 #1 of 23
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, Ollie, that's certainly a fine mess you've gotten yourself into.

Malcolm Merlyn's been one step ahead of you all this time and he whupped you good to boot.
    (And have you thought about investing in a real mask?)

As expected, the device created by Dr. Brion Markov creates earthquakes.

And I'm willing to bet that
    Malcolm will run it through the old subway tunnels to set it off.

I did like Felicity at Merlyn Global though and Diggle's method of rescuing her.
    (Although him having a job there was a tad convenient now, wasn't it?)
    (And a "teraflop of data"?)

And back on the island, can Ollie prevent Fyers from downing that Ferris Air jet?
    (And if Yao Fei is dead, who continues to teach Ollie how to be a baddass? Slade?)

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy. You can just see the darkness rising in him.

All in all, setting up nicely for the season finale.

2. May 9, 2013 #2 of 23
    john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It was surprising that Oliver was so outclassed by Malcolm. Oliver could not shoot him with an arrow, and he could not beat him hand-to-hand. Too bad Oliver did not bring a gun...

That "teraflop of data" bothered me, too, coming from a super hacker. I wonder if it was written correctly and the actress just flubbed the line and no one noticed?

3. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    SO LAME. Really, I get you were all arts geeks and not computer geeks in college, but surely one of you knows someone who knows something about computers. Sigh.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    How many teraflops can she do the Kessler Run in?

5. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Kessel

:p

6. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    12?

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No no, the Kessel Run is measured in parsecs. The Kessler Run is measured in teraflops.

(He said, desperately.)

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    How can you flub "flop" for "byte"? That line was written like that, otherwise they would have done another take of that scene or dubbed it!

9. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    You say teraflop instead of terabyte. Maybe because you don't know what either means, but you recently heard someone use the word "teraflop".

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Seems like everybody caught the teraflop boo-boo. I even replayed it to be certain that's what she said. I doubt that she flubbed it. Someone wrote it that way.

If I shot an arrow at a guy and he caught it in his hands, I'd be like "Excuse me sir, there must have been some kind of miscommunication. You are clearly more badass than I thought. I'll be leaving now. Toodles."

Thea, Roy's a jerk and a crappy character. Move on.

11. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    :D I'd pull out my Desert Eagle and say "catch these!"

12. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Yup. Getting a real Green Goblin father/son vibe there.

13. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Someone enlighten the rest of us on what is the deal with this teraflop/terabyte scandal. Feels like the 'goth/gaunt' thread hijack from past LOST discussions.

Yeah I know... Google is my friend.... but I am betting I am not the only one who is curious.

14. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    In general terms, teraflop is a measurement of speed, terabyte is a measurement of size. So a "teraflop of data" makes no sense.

15. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    And what would you know about...oh. Never mind. :eek:

;)

16. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    :D

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I find it hard to find one iota of sympathy for Tommy. He broke up with Laurel because Ollie still has feelings for her? Child, please. That's just stupid. The writers could have come up with a better reason than that, like maybe she wears a Green Arrow neglige during sexy times or something.

18. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    "Speed" as in "speed of a computer"; "flop" stands for "floating point operations per second", so a "teraflop" means that you can do 10**12 (1,000,000,000,000, or a trillion) floating point operations per second.

As Flop says, "10**12 floating operations per second of data" is meaningless.

19. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    That's not what Tommy said. He said that if Laurel found out that Oliver was the vigilante, then she would choose Oliver. In other words, Tommy is afraid Laurel still has feelings for Oliver. And he was right. So, Tommy could have stayed with Laurel but he would always be afraid that she would leave Tommy for Oliver (even if she stuck around with Tommy, he would always wonder if she was choosing to stay out of loyalty rather than love). I can see wanting to break off a relationship early rather than suffer through that.

Of course, it is not like Tommy is the victim here. If he were smart, he should have not let things with Laurel develop any further as soon as he knew Oliver was still alive. So the situation is largely his own fault.

20. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched this episode last night. Had to come here to complain about the teraflop thing. I partly wondered if they used flop because they wanted to sound more impressive than saying byte. Lots of people have heard of a terabyte, so they wanted something that sounded geekier. They just didn't realize flop made no sense.