1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arrow "Broken Dolls" 10/23/2013

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Oct 25, 2013.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Looks like he's going to be called The Arrow from now on. I'd still prefer Green Arrow but anything's better than The Hood or The Vigilante.

Laurel's father was standing five feet from The Arrow for about half the show and he still couldn't figure out it's Oliver.

Would I know who the blonde woman hero is if I read the comics?

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or Laurel, or, well, just about anybody.

Must be the voice that's throwing them. "Huh, that guy looks exactly like Ollie...but he sounds completely different, almost like a robot. Maybe it's a robot designed to look like Ollie, to throw suspicion off the robot's manufacturer? Yeah, that must be it! It's the only logical explanation!"

3. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Last week I thought it was Black Canary. And the "sonic thingy" lent itself to that. But Black Canary is Dinah Lance. And we've seen both of them in the same frame. So it's not Laurel Dinah Lance. But it still could be a new take on Black Canary, but I don't know for sure.

I'm so confused!

On the other hand, I thought this was the best episode yet.

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Ya, standing right next to him, he couldn't pull the hood down?? LOL

And how do they do the voice?

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    No wonder Quinten got busted back to patrolman.
    I'm not sure he'll figure it out even if he does see Diggle running around on an operation.
    ;)

I have to admit that the Dollmaker was very creepy and I liked Quinten discussing his history with him, how it came on the heels of Sarah's death.

Couldn't help noticing that the lawyer was named Tony Daniel.

And the big takeaway was that the Black Leather woman has worked for Ra's Al Ghul.

Which makes me think that she's really
    Shado

6. GAViewer

GAViewer Member

Oct 18, 2007
    In the comic book world the original Black Canary was Dinah Drake who married detective Larry Lance and had Dinah Laurel Lance who later became the 2nd Black Canary.

7. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I don't think so. Mystery woman was clearly concerned about Laurel (she took off like a shot when she saw the text that Laurel was kidnapped), and she also seems to like Arrow mostly (does she know it is Oliver?). What long-lost female character on the show would be concerned about Laurel, and maybe Oliver?

8. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    It was a damn good episode, and the Dollmaker was done well. I think with people not recognizing a superhero is just part and parcel of this genre ... hell, Clark Kent just removed his glasses and changed into a cape, and nobody recognized him ...

9. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I thought that was pretty interesting that they were able to use that character considering how tied he is to Batman and how important the character was in Nolan's Batman films.

10. IDSmoker

IDSmoker Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Considering how the messenger was dressed, I guess we now know where Merlyn got his training.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Back when Malcolm had told Tommy that he went to Nanda Parbat after Mrs. Merlyn died, I did read speculation that the man that Malcolm met there was Ra's.

But I don't think it was specified even in the Arrow comic that Berlanti wrote last season.

12. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Active Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Of course in the comics, he's got the funky goatee and a teeny weenie form fitting mask, and no one recognizes him...
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/GreenArrow?from=Main.GreenArrow

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
  14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ollie lost the goatee in the New 52 reboot.

However, the fact that The Huntress and the Canary wear masks make it a little annoying that Ollie doesn't.

15. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I thought his identity was public knowledge in the comic book world? Did that change in the new 52?

16. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    You think here was any significance that the ship's name at the island was Amazo, or just a coincidence?

17. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    Seems like a nod to the character. Probably nothing more, considering Amazo's powers.

I assume the whole island mess is related to Ra's al Ghul, who I started to suspect toward the end of last season, since the whole destruction of the Glades was his MO in Nolan's trilogy.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I took it as just a shout out, as was Metamorpho Chemical.

19. Archangel00

Archangel00 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Gulf Coast
    So is there some magical/mystical power in this 'verse that allows radios to work without their batteries attached, cause that was some of the glaringly dumbest crap I've seen in a while if not...

20. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Wearing a deep hood also looks quite ridiculous in live action, especially when he is fighting vigorously. And considering that many of the guys he has to fight would happily take advantage of the terrible obstruction of peripheral vision (and hearing) that the hood creates.