1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are tuning adapters still needed...

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jollygrunt777, Mar 20, 2014.

1. jollygrunt777

jollygrunt777 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Republic of...
    I'm planning on purchasing a Roamio and using it with Time Warner Cable. I subscribe to all channels plus premiums. I've currently got their 2 tuner dvr on 1 TV. I don't watch any non HD channels. Would I still need a tuning adapter in order to use the Roamio?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

2. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Yes

3. djev

djev New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I have Charter and some areas need them and others don't. I have no idea if it's the same with TWC.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The answer is yes for most or all TWC systems, but post your location to get a more definite answer.

5. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't know of any TWC markets that do not require a tuning adapter to receive many of the HD channels and all of the premium channels. So yes, you will need a tuning adapter.

6. jollygrunt777

jollygrunt777 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Republic of...
    Rio Grande Valley area in deep South Texas. Zip code 78586

So the tuning adapter is is mainly for access to SDV channels then?

7. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The tuning adapter is ONLY for access to SDV channels, but there are a lot of those on TWC systems. So if you don't have a tuning adapter attached to the TiVo, there will be a good number of channels that you are unable to receive.

Edit: I think the tuning adapter also does the "best quality video" function, where if you tune to a SD channel, it will pull in the HD channel automatically for you.

8. jollygrunt777

jollygrunt777 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Republic of...
    We don't have that new channel lineup in this area yet. We still have most HD channels in the 1000 block and up while SD ones are in the lower channels. For example, HBO HD is 1700 while SD one is 700.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Aaarrrggh! So soon the SDV tuning failures I now get will be extended to **all** channels? That might be the final straw prompting me to cut the cord.

10. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I assume you're with Time Warner. Do you have a Motorola or a Cisco tuning adapter? If you have the Cisco TA, did you get the 1901 firmware update a couple weeks ago? That update solved pretty much all of my tuning failures.

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    In my experience, tuning adapters are highly dependent upon signals in both directions being up to par and balanced with each other. If you have downstream or upstream issues, or if the "tilt" isn't right, you're going to have headaches. If you have repeated issues with SDV, might be worth asking for a service call. When they come out, be their second shadow and make sure they put in the time to check all the signal levels thoroughly.

12. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    You can say that again.....I have 239 SDV channels here. Even TiVo, after looking at my logs one time, was like "Wow, you have a lot of SDV!!!" :p

13. jollygrunt777

jollygrunt777 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Republic of...
    I had thought that a tuning adapter was only used to have access to analog channels. So, I figured that since I don't watch any analog only stations, I wouldn't need one.

14. davidjplatt

davidjplatt New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Herndon, VA
    Why would Switched Digital Video have anything to do with analog channels?

The D in SDV is Digital (not analog). A tuning adapter is ONLY for digital channels. Thank goodness I have Verizon FiOS and don't have to deal with SDV.

15. jollygrunt777

jollygrunt777 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Republic of...
    I was thinking about the digital TV transition and the tuning adapter required for old tvs to watch digital channels. I thought it to be the same thing for tivos.

I know now that I was wrong.

16. davidjplatt

davidjplatt New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Herndon, VA
    Actually, the change to digital TV required a digital tuner not a tuning adapter. Calling it an adapter would mean that it adapted the tuner in the TV to receive digital signals. Those boxes did not adapt the tuner in the TV - they bypassed them.

Much like the HD Ready digital televisions (1080i and 720p) that were prevalent years ago, the box required after the stations went digital tuned digital stations and converted the signal to the analog inputs on the TV. Years ago when I bought my first Hi-Def television (a Sony Grand Wega III 50 inch rear projection LCD set at 720p) it did not have a tuner of any kind - no OTA channels. You had to get a separate HDTV tuner box or use a HDTV cable box or HTDV satellite box to get an HD signal. When I got that Sony TV there were no HDTV DVD players - no HD-DVD or BluRay. They hadn't come to market yet. Funny, that Sony Grand Wega III is still going strong at my niece's house hooked to a Verizon FiOS DVR using an HDMI to DVI cable...

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    You might consider turning off the signature in Tapatalk. A lot of people consider it an annoying, unpaid advertisement. At the very least, it is very repetitive to see it included in every post.

18. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I had a pretty smokin' D-VHS HD setup though!

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I'm on TWC and I got the 1901 update on 2/21. I need to clarify my situation:
    I have a Tivo HD, not a Roamio. The manual SDV tuning failures are maybe once every day or two, and are resolved by a channel up/down sequence. Every two or three weeks I lose all, or a lot of, my SDV channels and have to reboot both TA and Tivo, sometimes twice each, to get the right map back. So far this hasn't happened since the 1901 update (a month now) -- fingers crossed.

In past years the manual SDV tuning failures were more frequent, and I would miss a recording at least once a week. In the last year or so I rarely miss a recording.. I can't say yet if the manual tuning failures have become noticeably less frequent after the 1901 update - possibly.

I'm somewhat familiar with the TA technical aspects. My FDC and RDC levels are always well within spec. I know what tilt is but I don't understand why it would be a factor for signaling between the TA and cable plant if FDC and RDC levels are within specs. (And it certainly will not impact USB signaling between TA and Tivo.)

I've had techs out for various problems over the years and always look over their shoulder. I've known more about TA signals than any of them have, and I'm not impressed with their signal checking procedures which don't take long enough to be really comprehensive. I don't doubt that **some** techs with more skills and/or better meters may do better -- just haven't had one like that. My current situation isn't bad enough to justify making a big stink about it --- which might get a super tech out --- if my TWC even has one. Their policy is you have to have two truck rolls with regular techs before a problem gets escalated to super tech tier -- just not worth the hassle unless my problems were bigger.

Do either of you **never** have tuning failures, or is my rate about par for the course?

20. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    When I first got my Roamio back in November, I was having pretty regular tuning failures where I had to do the channel up/channel down thing to get the channel to retune. But sometime in December I think it was, a software update came through on the Roamio that allowed my Roamio to deal with tuning failures more gracefully. Instead of just sitting there with a blank screen after a tuning failure, which required me to initiate the channel up/channel down, the Roamio began automatically re-tuning the channel for me whenever a tuning failure occurred. When this happened, it would take the channel an extra couple of seconds to appear, but it also meant that I never missed any recordings due to a tuning failure. And since getting the 1901 firmware update several weeks ago, I don't recall having any more tuning failures at all. So for me at least, the December Roamio software update and the 1901 tuning adapter firmware update have solved my problems with the tuning adapter. *knocks on wood*