1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there audio issues on Roamio or is it just me?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Goober96, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1 of 40
    Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    I hooked up my Pro today through my Sony AV receiver and the sound doesn't seem to be as good as it was from the Premiere Elite. After fast forwarding it seems to be even worse and then improves as it plays. Is this just me or has anyone else with a Dolby Digital AV receiver noticed anything like this?

2. Sep 6, 2013 #2 of 40
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I use optical to a receiver and dolby digital. Sounds exactly the same as the Premiere and the HD did.

3. Sep 6, 2013 #3 of 40
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sounds fine to me. I have HDMI directly to the receiver.

Any chance you knocked something loose when you were hooking it up?

4. Sep 6, 2013 #4 of 40
    Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    I don't think so, but it's always possible. I'll check that later today.

5. Sep 6, 2013 #5 of 40
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It's digital. Either it is perfect or it is nothing or it is digitally breaking up. There really aren't any other inbetweens...

6. Sep 6, 2013 #6 of 40
    wolfie3216

wolfie3216 New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    I have a Series 3 and a Premiere, and the Series 3 audio is hands-down better than the Premiere. The difference is night and day. The Series 3 is THX, while the Premiere is not.

Did the THX certification go away with the Roamio??

W.

7. Sep 6, 2013 #7 of 40
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004

Mine seems to be a little lower volume when I first do some things, then increase a little back to normal after a second or two.

8. Sep 6, 2013 #8 of 40
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I never had a difference with mine. They were identical with the audio output since both were bitstreamed to a receiver.

And no THX certification with the Roamio. Tivo must have finally figured out it was a waste of money.

9. Sep 6, 2013 #9 of 40
    Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Yeah that's what I'm experiencing. So it's not just me then. Do we have bad units then?

10. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    But if they would have paid for--I mean "earned" the THX certification, at least they could crow about some difference between the Plus and the Pro giving some people a reason to pay for the higher price giving the Pro grater "value." He, he. SARCASM! :). I can't see any reason to buy the Pro at the MSRP because it is cheaper to get a Plus and put in your own larger HDD and save about $100 or more depending upon which HDD one installs, since TiVo has given us no indication that there is any technical or feature wise difference between the Plus and Pro except the larger HDD. Just when they need the THX Cert most, they don't want it. He, he, he,. I'm sorry but I still find this LOL. For what it is worth, I think the Pro is going to appeal to professional home theater builders/installers who are spending other people's (rich people's) money and they can proudly say they have the TiVo Roamio "PRO"! :).

11. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    It appealed to me because I wanted 3 TB and didn't want to risk voiding the warranty to save $100 or less. Just because TiVo hasn't enforced that in the past doesn't mean they can't and won't in the future and the savings just wasn't worth that risk to me.

12. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Another issue without starting another thread: how long should it take for all guide data to be loaded? I don't remember it taking this long with past models. Some channels are still "to be announced" after a day and I have forced multiple calls. Does forcing calls even help load guide data?

13. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Definitely noticing the audio issue after using replay to jump back 8 seconds. The audio level drops (but not completely out) and then increases a few seconds later. I just e-mailed TiVo to open a case on it to determine if it is a bad box or if there is some software issue they can fix. Would like to avoid a replacement if at all possible.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My guide updated very quickly. When I checked a few hours after setting it up I was surprised the guide data already went out 12 days on my Roamio Pro.

15. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    On all channels? I have most channels but some (CMT, FX, SyFy, Fox News for example) are still "to be announced."

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I checked a bunch of channels and they all went out for 12 days or so. One of the first things I do when setting up a TiVo is selecting the channel lineup. So on FiOS I have all the HD channels selected and a couple dozen SD channels selected so that could be part of the reason. But I did the same thing when I set up my Elites and they didn't update that quickly.

17. Smirks

Smirks .:. Hello .:.

Oct 7, 2002
    I had a similar problem where many of my channels were "to be announced" many hours after initial setup.

To fix I re-ran guided setup. After that everything was populated.

18. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks I'll try that.

19. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    That worked. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The audio is pure digital, so there is nothing TiVo could be doing to effect the volume. You can't effect the volume of Dolby Digital audio without recoding, and you can't recode DD audio without a hefty license which I'm sure they don't have. Because if they did have a DD license then they would be able to properly overlay the BeeDoop sounds when using trickplay on a DD show.

So if you hear this weird audio volume drop it's likely your receiver. Maybe you have some sort of auto equalizer or normalization setting set and the silence produced by the trickplay is causing it to ramp up the volume like that. A lot of TVs have settings like that to prevent you from getting blasted by loud commercials.