1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any Big Bang Theory ripoff shows?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bob_Newhart, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1 of 34
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Even though Hollywood doesn't like to make copycat shows based on other popular shows and prefers originality, I'm surprised there isn't some sort of nerdfest sitcom floating around someplace. Or did I miss it?

I wouldn't mind another sitcom like that.

2. Oct 1, 2012 #2 of 34
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    You're forgetting that the Big Bang Theory was a ripoff of The Misfits of Science, oh wait that was Heros. :D

I can't remember everything I did last week, but I still remember that dang theme song....

3. Oct 1, 2012 #3 of 34
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I haven't watched any new Big Bangs this season. Is AFF still on it this year? :(

4. Oct 1, 2012 #4 of 34
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Nope she just disappeared

:D

5. Oct 1, 2012 #5 of 34
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

6. Oct 1, 2012 #6 of 34
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    IMHO they have a way hotter Penny. :D

7. Oct 1, 2012 #7 of 34
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    And their nerd is way nerdier.

8. Oct 1, 2012 #8 of 34
    lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    It's not a BBT ripoff, but you would probably enjoy The IT Crowd.

9. Oct 1, 2012 #9 of 34
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's the kind of show BBT wanted to be in the beginning, before it decided it wanted to be a generic sitcom.

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's the one I was thinking of, but not sure if that was before or after TBBT, and it is from the UK, so maybe not really a ripoff of TBBT.

Another one was "Outourced" which was on NBC a couple of years ago. Not quite the same thing, but similar in feel.

And then there's Eureka on SyFy, which is chock full of geeks. Again, not really a ripoff and it might have started around the same time as TBBT.

11. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    OMG I was obsessed with Misfits Of Science.
    OBSESSED.

12. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    :up:

13. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Given that Chuck Lorre is the creator/producer, I have a hard time believing that it was never going to end up as anything but a generic sitcom. That's his specialty.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But that's very much not how it started out. For the first two years, it was a very sincere (and funny, and not always flattering) look at geeks. Since then, it's been all stereotypes...nothing you couldn't get from preconceptions and Google.

I have a theory that somebody very important behind the scenes on the show, who was intimately connected to geek culture, left after the second season.

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    They used to bring in actual physicists as consultants to make sure they got the references and the various whiteboard equations correct. I think it's been a long time since we saw any whiteboards or had any deep physics references.

As for the geeky/comic stuff, they still seem to have plenty of that, but it's probably been mainstreamed.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, my view is that the references used to be pretty deep (i.e., they talked about stuff in the ways that geeks would talk about stuff), but now it seems more just name-checked.

And on the science stuff, they say they still run it all past scientists, and I believe them, but again, I get the impression that now they just drop equations into the show, whereas in the early days they built episodes around the concepts the equations represented.

And I'm sure to the vast majority of the audience it doesn't make a difference, and I'm sure they've been able to broaden their audience considerably by laughing at geeks instead of showing how geekiness can be funny. But being a geek that people have laughed at all my life (since long before there was any sense in which geeks could be considered cool), I miss having a show that gets it about geeks.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I adored Misfits! even though it's not great it's SO. MUCH. FUN.
    I found it a few years ago in a torrent, dreadful quality but fun to have it around for a fix.

And this is what I thought this thread was going to be about:
    http://science.kukuchew.com/2010/08/28/chinese-clone-the-big-bang-theory/
    dammit that's STILL not the right link, and I know it's not the Belarus one that I'm looking for.

18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think what has happened, more than broadening this to appeal to a less "geeky" audience, is that our main characters have been flushed out. The first year, especially we are learning about the characters, but now that we know them, it isn't JUST about them being geeks, but about their personalities. We start to care about them more as people than just the math and science behind them.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'll buy that (assuming you meant it as corrected here :D), but I insist that in the early days of the show they acted like actual geeks, and now they act like stereotypes of geeks.

20. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    My mad typing skills have become MADDENING :D

I'm sure you're right. As I'm only a semi-geek, I guess I don't see the difference between the stereotype and the reality. :D They have all the attributes of what the unwashed masses recognize as geeks.