1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Roamios ready for the Future IP based authentication

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Aug 30, 2013.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I have read several times that the FCC would like to move away from CableCards and require the cable companies to implement Residential IP Gateways.

We know this has been pushed back several times and we really have no idea when or even what the final product might look like when it finally comes out - but it did get me thinking.

Since something like a Residential IP Gateway is software authentication - is there any reason that the Roamio line WOULDN'T be able to support IP authentication?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Depends on how it's implemented. If it's pure software it should work. If it requires any sort of hardware then it wont. I believe the solution Charter is working on will require special hardware. That's why TiVo is fighting against it with the FCC. It would require special hardware and be specific to Charter's network.