1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all TiVo cords/wires/cables universal?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nessie, May 30, 2013.

1. nessie

nessie Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a Toshiba Series 2 SD-H400 with TiVo Basic. I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 cable box. I use an IR blaster to change channels. My cable provider is Cox.

The TiVo is cycling back and forth between the "Powering up" screen and "Just a few minutes more", so after doing some research it seems like it's a bad hard drive and I should throw out this TiVo. If I buy a used TiVo from ebay that comes with the console only (no wires or anything so I can get it for a cheaper price), can I use all the cords from my old SD-H400?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  3. nessie

nessie Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks.

Another question. With TiVo desktop, isn't it like you have infinite storage? You can transfer all the shows from TiVo to your computer, then delete the shows from TiVo and always transfer them back to TiVo later to save room. Or am I getting something wrong?

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes, you can use TiVo Desktop to transfer recordings back and forth, but that is far from "infinite".

You'll need to get another TiVo with basic or Lifetime service unless you want to pay a monthly service fee.

Also, unless you have it already, you should download TiVo Desktop ASAP. The free version will only be available through June 5th.

Finally, there is no real need to "throw out the TiVo". It can be fixed, although it may not be worth it.

5. nessie

nessie Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks. Why would you need another TiVo? Why not just transfer between TiVo and PC and vice versa?

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I meant the replacement TiVo you are planning to buy. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I don't believe there are any copy protection restriction if you're using a non-cable card TiVo, but be aware that with the new high-def TiVos using cable cards that the cable company can place copy protection on recorded shows and those shows can't be copied via TiVo Desktop to the PC (or via MRV to another TiVo).

How many channels will be copy protected depends on your provider. Some like Verizon FIOS protect almost nothing (HBOs & PPV), others protect everything they're legally allowed to (everything but the broadcast channels).

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you are truly planning to landfill that thing, let's talk.