1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apps.TV is no more

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by wmcbrine, Sep 11, 2012.

1. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I noticed last night that Reversi wasn't showing up in my TiVos' menus, just the apps.tv IP address. Today I went to look at apps.tv in my browser, and sure enough, I saw this:

I've been expecting this for a while, but it's still a sad day for me. After taking down their own hosted apps, and purging others from the list, apps.tv was down to just two available apps at the time of shutdown: my own Reversi, and that Fire Dispatch thing. I figured our host was just waiting for them to give up before shutting down (not that he said anything about it). But I had no intention of turning off Reversi. Looks like I waited him out. (In fact, Reversi is still running as I type this, but without apps.tv, you can't get to it.)

On the one hand, I'd like to thank our host for providing a valuable service to the TiVo community for many years, with no recompense. On the other, I'd like to curse him out for being a bipolar flake and shutting down without notice.
  2. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004

I've got a static public IP with plenty of bandwidth to go around. I remember seeing some information posted at some point about what it takes to host something like what apps.tv did (by you william, maybe?). My memory is fuzzy though, and I can't seem to find any reference now. But I'd look into it if there's any interest? I've never got around to building any tivo apps and wouldn't be able to reproduce the apps.tv hme client app, but I could do the web-services part pretty easily, I'm sure.
  3. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Aha, found it - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=381989
    For future reference:
    And I obtained this fragment from Google's cache of apps.tv.
    	<title>apps.tv HME Server</title>
    		<title>apps.tv Subscription Manager</title>