1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Wins Major Apple TV Patent Relating to Cable TV and DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Aero 1, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
  2. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    The unique part of this appears to be that a Picture in Picture preview of what is playing on the other station displays as you move through the guide while also allowing you to see the channel currently tuned in. Someone using a TiVo with the HDUI needs to chime in with info as to whether that's on the newer premiere boxes or not.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    DirecTV DVRs have shown "picture in guide" for many years.

4. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Yeah, I figured it was prior art. Wondering what Apple's angle is to get a patent on this type of tech? If you believe the fanbois they are trying to get a patent on existing things and then take everyone in sight to court for copying them.

5. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    There better be some actual innovation or non-obvious implementation beyond what that article shows, or this is just another BS idea patent that depends very heavily on prior art as well as existing implementations...even for 2006 when it was filed.

6. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    2006. Wow. Certainly no TiVo used PIP for guide display then. Maybe some PC/Tuner card applications. Be just like Apple to patent something obvious and then go after everyone that implemented it during or after the application date.

I'm starting to think Apple is becoming a patent troll. You'd think they would have tried to implement in the past 6 years.

7. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    A quick search shows that the Dish Network 522 DVR Receiver from 2005 had picture in picture and pictures in the menu screens. And I know other devices generated on screen controls. So yeah, there needs to be a lot more to the patent...

8. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Figure 21 is a copy of the "grid-style" guide DirecTV, DISH and most everyone else has been using since before 2006. Figure 31 looks an awful lot like the TiVo guide ca 1999. Too bad the article did not include the patent numbers.

9. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    cablevision SA boxes had that also in the early 00's

10. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    If the image I found is accurate, the guide only shows what's on the other channel and doesn't let you see the current channel on screen.

11. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Well there you go...nobody could have envisioned that! Now that's an invention!

/sarcasm directed at the patent office, not you

Still, I'm not sure it's limited like that from the pics I saw, but that's only the first device I found on the first search...

12. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
  13. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  14. spidershowl11

spidershowl11 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    It is really surprising to know that Apple's patent was filed in 2006 and it took so long to be waiting on a patent. More surprising was that Apple has iPhone patents going back to 1999 and the iPhone launched in 2007.