1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Apocolypse" type shows and group dynamics. A discussion

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Off the bat got to let people know there could be spoilers for any show that has "apocalypse" feel to it. Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Jericho...et al...

I am intrigued by how groups react to these conditions. In shows like Walking Dead you have no trust between groups and when one groups sees another it is very standoff-ish. Sometimes they join up sometimes they remain adversaries. In shows like Falling Skies whenever they come across "survivors" they immediately are trust worthy unless they give the reason not to be. I wonder if this is due to the cause of the apocalypse being man made (zombies, contagion, nuclear war) or alien invasion. In the alien invasion scenario groups seems to be more willing to join together to fight a common enemy, even though you know at some point you are going to have to compete for resources. Off the bat on survival shows they are already in survival mode. Always worrying if the new group is after food or weapons.

It really gets me curious how characters are written to react. In any circumstance I think I would be trying to join up and create a "safe haven" no matter what. In a scenario like alien invasion sure you are more at "war" then if you are just concerned about infected or zombies. I think the zombie scenario of getting to an island is best option.

2. Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...
    Did you see The Colony? It was a "reality" tv show where they tried to recreate post-apocalyptic conditions to see how people would react. Still directed, but I thought it took an interesting look at the social dynamics that might possibly develop. A lot of it seemed to have to do with what skill sets and resources different people and groups had to offer.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    When I watch these shows, I know it's fiction, so I don't think about such things. What I find fascinating is how they react to the crap that's coming at them. That's the fun part of the show. I find that most writers are not quite sure how to handle the interpersonal stuff, and usually it's pretty cheesy.

4. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    If you're talking about an apocalypse with no zombies or aliens, then it's basically going back to the middle ages--no power, limited transportation and communication, etc.

Generally in that situation the average guy has to give up freedom in exchange for security. Anarchy is the worst enemy--you can plant crops and form a community, but if bandits or whatever come in every few months and either steal or destroy all you have accomplished, you're dead. So someone comes along and provides security for a price. He solves your question about whether you can trust strangers--he either takes them in and watches them or he kills them, or he turns them into slaves. Of course, he can do those same things to you.

5. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Apocalypse books are much more satisfying than TV shows.

A Gift Upon The Shore
    The Handmaid's Tale
    A Canticle For Leibowitz
    The Road
    Bangs and Whimpers - Stories About the End of the World

Anyone who has a favorite apocalypse book please list them.

6. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    External enemy might be a big difference. The other would be what caused the die off (whether it would tend to make people more wary of others).

Aliens blow up the cities, and most people are dead because of direct alien action, not a lot of man vs man killing. There's more of a relative resource surplus, and a desire to stick together because that way you can at least resist minor alien patrols.

But a zombie apocolype where you have people turning into zombies (or possibly at some stages people in denial that their famility/friends could be infected and harboring them until they turn) and you're pretty down on the human condition.

Take another one like Revolution, where the power (and consequently transportation) goes out and most people would die from starvation or fights over the scarce food supplies (especially anywhere near cities). After you just suvived months of dying time by beating other surivivors to keep or take the last of the food and you're going to be damn suspicious of anyone you meet.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't mean to be pedantic, but it's entirely due to the point the writers are trying to make. In a sense, it's like the old comic book arguments about "Who'd win in a fight, Superman or Thor?" Well, it depends on who's writing it.

If the writers are trying for an uplifting view of humanity, then the characters will pull together and unite against whatever's going on. If they're after a Hobbesian nightmare, then society will crumble, even on a small scale.

It's not the nature of the apocalypse. It's what you make of it. :D

(And of course writers will shape their apocalypse to the point they're trying to make, but that would be more of a detail level thing.)

8. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    Lucifer's Hammer
    The Stand
    Alas Babylon
    One Second After

9. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    But to take your point a little farther (further?), chances are that if there were a real "apocalypse", many people will end up behaving the way they see the characters in these productions behaving, logical or not, because they will believe that is the most effective course of action.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But I think in a real zombie apocalypse, you'd see them reacting at both extremes (falling apart, pulling together), and in a real alien invasion, the same. And everything in between.

For example, if I pointed out that civilization is collapsing because the OP can't spell "apocalypse," some posters would pull together in a heroic effort to save our society from such decaying standards. And others would start a flame war about spelling/grammar nazis and just accelerate the collapse. But if they were making a movie about it, it would probably be one or the other.

11. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    The island would have to be capable of sustaining you and your group indefinitely. Assuming there's a fresh water source and access to fishing, I suppose it's possible. The zombies would have to be incapable of underwater travel (see World War Z; that's not necessarily the case). The island would have to be far enough removed from civilization that you're not dealing with a stream of refuges competing for finite resources, and it wouldn't work so well if it were a Walking Dead "everyone's already infected" type of situation. If one of your survivors dies, there goes the neighborhood.

12. jdm5

jdm5 Member

May 29, 2001
    Connecticut
  13. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I can only assume you mean the t-virus?

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think the "The Stand" miniseries was good too.

15. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I would hope you could boat to and from the main land to get supplies.

16. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    I liked Gary Sinise in it, but I think just because of when it was made, it was pretty cheesy - mainly the ending. I think I read recently in Entertainment Weekly that Ben Affleck is planning to remake it soon.

I hope that's true.

17. Craigbob

Craigbob Active Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Lucifer's Hammer,
    The Postman (much better than the Kevin Costner movie)
    The Stand
    Footfall for (Alien Invasion scenario)

Just to name a few.

18. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    These are all good. The beauty of the zombie apocalypse is that it's not going to happen. The comet thing is a long shot. Killer virus, a little more likely, but One Second After is really scary because it could happen so easily. :(

Would love to see a remake, but it suffers the usual problem with Stephen King stuff--big let down for the ending.

19. Haps

Haps eh?

Nov 30, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Swan Song

20. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    My favs...

Lucifer's Hammer...comet impact
    A Canticle for Leibowitz...nuclear war
    The Stand...biotech screwup
    One Second After...EMP from an enemy nuke destroys US electrical grid & electronics

These scenarios are much scarier to me than the zombie apocalypse fantasies