1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOL On app coming to TiVo Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by drebbe, Aug 10, 2012.

1. drebbe

drebbe Carbon Blob

Apr 11, 2012
    The AOL On Network today announced the launch of version 2.0 of its connected TV app. Formerly known as AOL HD, The AOL On app will feature ad-serving capabilities at launch, and will boast a wide selection of rich, high-definition video content drawn from The AOL On library of more than 380,000 short-form videos. Already available on seven of the leading connected TV platforms, the update will be made available to three of these platforms: Samsung Smart TVs, Roku and Sony. Currently in beta, TiVo joins the lineup of supported platforms. Subscribers will receive access to the AOL On app in the coming weeks on TiVo Premiere DVRs.

2. Drewster

Drewster Shooting blanks

Oct 26, 2000
    What's on AOL On that one might be interested in?
  3. drebbe

drebbe Carbon Blob

Apr 11, 2012
    From the Reuters link

The upgraded AOL On app boasts a newly redesigned, cutting-edge user interface. In addition to AOL original content from properties like Moviefone, Engadget and HuffPost Entertainment, the app will feature high-definition videos from the AOL On NetworkÂ’s premium content partners like Reuters, AP, BBC, Newsy, Entertainment Tonight, Sugar, E!, Splash News, CNET and Gourmet TV. New content will be added on a daily basis.

4. Kingpcgeek

Kingpcgeek Couch Potato

Feb 6, 2012

How about Amazon Prime Video and HBOGo?
  5. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
  6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    AOL is still around? :confused:

7. hillyard

hillyard New Member

Nov 1, 2011
    They take away filters in the guide and start adding add driven apps that is more than likely going to add to the lagg.
  8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Just what we would need, another streaming service with forced ads. Is this the future of DVR's?
  9. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Tivo actually wasted their time developing something with Aol? lol
  10. sbiller

sbiller New Member

May 10, 2002
    Actually. TiVo just provided AOL the SDK/API. I suspect that TiVo put very little engineering effort into support the AOL app. I guess Sony, Samsung, Roku, Google TV, and Boxee wasted their time as well...
  11. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    People are begging Tivo for an Amazon Prime app and so we're going to get AOL! What's next Comp-U-Serve? Maybe a dial-up BBS? Hello, testing 1-2-3. Is anybody home? Hope it's free, 'cause there's no way in H that I'd pay for AOL. I'd rather listen to 24/7 Super Beta Prostate ads!!!!
  12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    I think some people just like to bit**. TiVo needs to have more streaming content and channels like this are part of the solution.

For all those that think AOL HD is worthless - of course that is a personal preference thing but maybe you should wait until you see what AOL HD has before being so certain. After all Engadget, Huffington Post, Moviephone, TechCrunch etc. are all AOL properties and are contributers to AOL HD.

I really don't see the downside to this and I am hoping it is the beginning of TiVo being able to offer more channels like other streaming/connected/smart TV devices.
  13. drebbe

drebbe Carbon Blob

Apr 11, 2012
    Agree completely, whatever your opinion of the quality of the content that the AOL app will offer, the fact that a major media company decided it was worth the time and expense to support the TiVo Premiere is a good thing.
  14. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I have no clue why people continue to point to TiVo as if they write these apps themselves. Do people complain to Apple or Google when they want an app written for that platform?

Even if I have no interest in this app, which I don't think I will- I cannot stand hulu plus, the fact that any parties are writing apps for Tivo is great news.
  15. johnd01

johnd01 New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Would be nice to have the API open so we could write our own aps but until then we have to count on TIVO to write or control app development.
  16. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004

I'm just hoping that the UX is higher than it is in the Netflix and YouTube apps.
  17. spaldingclan

spaldingclan New Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm guessing the release of the SDK recently will open up the possibility of more apps? HBOGO?
  18. innocentfreak

innocentfreak New Member

Aug 25, 2001
    If HBOGO wanted to write one, I think TiVo would have already given them the SDK.
  19. macery

macery New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Does this mean I will start getting floppies every other day in the mail again??