1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyway to control receiver power with roamio remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by skuzzzzy, Aug 31, 2013.

1. skuzzzzy

skuzzzzy New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Anyway to control receiver power with roamio remote?

I find the the tivo remote way more comfortable, would be nice to beable to turn on/off both the tv and receiver aswell as change tv mode.

2. dmaneyapanda

dmaneyapanda Member

Jan 16, 2000
    princeton,nj
    Stupidly, that link actually doesn't explain how to have the remote control the AV power. I don't understand why TiVo still has this info not publicized.

To make your remote control the AV power, hold down the tivo+power buttons for a few seconds until the light comes on, then enter in the AV code again (the same one you used to let you control AV mute and volume). That's it!

Note that, if you have a choice of many codes, a code that works for mute and volume may not work for power - you may have to keep trying other codes for your brand receiver to find one that works for all three.

3. skuzzzzy

skuzzzzy New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Worked thanks

4. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    This is The direct link to the remote customization procedures. You still need to expand the specific sections.

michael

5. dmaneyapanda

dmaneyapanda Member

Jan 16, 2000
    princeton,nj
    Unless I am going blind, nothing on that page, even after expanding all the sections, explains how to hold tivo+power down in order to get the remote to control the AV power.

6. DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    So by following the above instructions you are able to power on both the TV and Receiver with one button click (TV PWR) just like you can program the Glo remote? Or does this just control the power for the Receiver?

7. Jeremy5

Jeremy5 New Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Another option if your receiver supports it is HDMI-CEC. I have my receiver in a closet turn on and off with the TV.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    They're right, you keep posting the link, but the link and the Tivo help screens never mention RECEIVER power, ever, so if it works, it's an easter egg at this point.

9. NJguy

NJguy New Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I just got a Zvox soundbar (sound box really). Never owned one before but the new TV I have is very low profile on the bottom sitting on the stand (about 3 inches) so my Samsung Soundbar was blocking a bit of the bottom of TV when watching. Also, with soundbars I found the TiVo remote is not very good as far as codes.

The new thing I got is a box made of wood so the 60" TV sits on top of it. The great thing is that the remote (even the TiVo) remote "learns" the controls of the Zvox by pointing at the Zvox and doing a couple button pushes. It really was the easiest thing I've done with regards to "learning remote"

10. DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    I don't have my Roamio yet so I can't test this out. I just don't understand how entering in the AV codes won't overwrite the TV codes when you enter it in!?!?

11. jdmass

jdmass Member

Dec 1, 2002
    Westborough, MA
    I know this is what one would expect and it isn't documented clearly, but it does work. I've used the Tivo remote to power on both TV and AV receiver for every Tivo since my original Philips series 1. The Roamio remote behaves the same - one button to power on/off both devices.

12. DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Ok, I have to report some findings. I have a TiVo Premiere base remote (non-glo) and I my two tuner Premiere. I first set the TV code using the TiVo guy + the power button. Then I set the receiver code with the TiVo guy + the mute button. I went back and set that same code with Tivo guy + power button and it worked. I am guessing that it doesn't overwrite the TV code because it knows the receiver code is not a TV code. So it stores both! Note that I had to try a few codes for my Onkyo receiver as some of them I guess didn't have the power button control. That being said I did not have to redo the TV code every time I tried the receiver code. Hopefully this is the same deal with the Roamio remote!

I hope this helps!

13. gbruyn

gbruyn New Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Still don't get how this works... Do you hit the POWER BUTTON and BOTH DEVICES (TV & Reciever) turn on?????!?!?!?!?!

14. DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Yes, it sends a signal to your TV and your Receiver to turn them both on and off. You have to perform the extra step of assigning the receiver to the power button (not just the mute button). It now performs as I had originally programmed my Glo remote.

15. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Christ almighty, how have I not known this? I've owned every TiVo since 2003!

16. DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Cuz TiVo is dumb and didn't document it!

17. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    Thanks much for the tip.

18. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    Engadget says CEC is not supported with Roamios.

I hope Engadget is wrong on that point. If it is working with your TiVo Roamio, it ought to work with mine!!

19. Jeremy5

Jeremy5 New Member

Dec 17, 2007
    My TV and my receiver support HDMI-CEC. The Roamio or anything else plugged into the receiver does not have to also support it for the functionality I described.