1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything change? Safari behaving differently now

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by Marc, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Marc

Marc Active Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    Has anything changed here since yesterday?

I've noticed a change in behavior with Safari (only) in that after browsing several pages, when I want to go back, I need to go back several times in order to go back a single page. Going back a single time takes me to a blank page.

Note that in my testing this only happens with Safari on my Mac and I don't see it in Firefox, and I cannot account for why this suddenly changed.

2. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    No changes here that I'm aware of.

3. Marc

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    Very strange, then. Thanks for the confirmation.

4. Marc

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    The problem seems to be related to a script loaded from partner.googleadservices.com. I'm guessing that the script being loaded messed with the behavior of the back button and it is somehow interacting poorly with Safari.

I notice in the mess of JavaScript code, there is a reference to "about:blank", which seems to be the blank page I'm seeing when I try to go back pages.

I blocked partner.googleadservices.com (by redirecting it to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts), emptied my cache, and now I'm no longer seeing the problem with this forum.

5. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern...
    I am seeing the same issue, and was wondering what was up.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm actually seeing the same thing on my iPad. Every page I load adds two entries to my back history so I have to hit back twice to go back.

7. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm seeing it too with Safari. Had the same problem at another site recently and the admin there said it's a known VB issue.

8. Marc

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    I would disagree that it's a known vBulletin issue since it's not happening at another vBulletin forum that I know of and once I blocked the host serving out the Google ad script, the problem went away. Plus, it just started happening two days ago, and they haven't touched their vBulletin installation here in many years.

9. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL