1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have use for original TCD652160 hard drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ampsonic, Sep 22, 2012.

1. ampsonic

ampsonic New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Not sure if it's worth selling? Anyone on the board have use for it? (Beyond wiping it and using it as regular HD)
  2. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    one of the WD1600 drives? Still functional?
  3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Nope. It's easy to get a truncated image for that model.

That hard should have more value to you.
    I assume you upgraded your Tivo using a larger size hard drive and now you have a 'spare'.
    What you should do is put that original hard drive on the shelf. Why? One day that upgraded hard drive will fail. When it does, you'll be glad you saved the original, either for copying to a new hard drive or installing back into the Tivo for emergency recording.
  4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  5. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I have one that I keep in case I need to replace the drive in my one remaining S2 box. As was pointed out, re-imaging boxes up through S3HD is an easy process. If you have an S3HD, then it might be worth keeping just in case your current drive goes out when there's another drive shortage.
  6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When I answered, I was unaware you were selling the unit from which the drive came.

You should include it as part of that package so that the buyer has it to fall back on if the upgrade drive you installed gives trouble.