1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody want to explain Usenet to me like I'm seven?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Apr 27, 2011 #1 of 1642
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've decided that I'd like to watch Doctor Who in hi-def, commercial free and without all the crap BBC America plasters on the screen. I already know how to download using torrents. I got a "We caught you!" email from Comcast last year when I used utorrent even though I used PeerBlock and want to avoid getting another one. I've heard that Usenet is the way to go. How do I get started? What client should I use? Is there a host I need an account on?

(Note: if the FBI is monitoring this thread, this is only for research purposes, sir!)

2. Apr 27, 2011 #2 of 1642
    IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Archeologist

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    You need to see if your ISP gives you usenet access, first. If not, then you need to pay for a provider. Mine does, so I don't know what it entails to get a usenet account elsewhere.

But once you do, get SABnzbd and install it. It's basically a newsreader that uses your browser as a front end. Once installed, go to FileSharingTalk and sign up for a free account (use a disposable email, if you wish).

FST is a forum like this one, except it's where people post NZB files. These are basically little files that tell SABnzbd how to get the things you want off usenet. You search FST's forum for "doctor who" and it will give you results. Go to the thread of the episode you want (S06E01, in the case of the latest Doctor Who) and click Create NZB.

Instead of downloading it, I just hit "Run" from the dialog box. This loads the NZB file directly into SABnzbd and it starts fetching all the parts it needs from usenet, checks them, fixes them (if necessary), decompresses them all to the video you need, then deletes the unneeded files.

Easy peasy.

3. Apr 27, 2011 #3 of 1642
    IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Archeologist

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
  4. Apr 27, 2011 #4 of 1642
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So what channel is this show on?
    (Since it's in Now Playing)

5. Apr 27, 2011 #5 of 1642
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The other option is to go with a usenet provider like EasyNews, for example, that archives and indexes binaries from UseNet and provides an easy to use web page with a search engine. It's as easy as downloading from any other webpage.

Or so I've been led to believe. By others. Yeah, that's it.

Seriously, though, I've heard AstraWeb and GigaNews come highly recommended, but I have not used either service. Both have very high retention rates and reasonable costs.

6. Apr 27, 2011 #6 of 1642
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Here are the basics of what you need.

1. Usenet provider. Most ISP's don't offer them anymore and the ones that do are slow speed. I use Astraweb. It's $11 a month and it's unlimited high speed.

2. Newsreader/Client - This is the program you use to download files from usenet. Normally this is done by importing an NZB file (see part 3) The nicer ones will not only download the file but will put all the pieces together and leave you with a finished file in a designated directory. Without that you would have to unrar the files yourself. Not to familiar with all that is out there but I use newsleecher.

3. NZB directory - NZB files are basically pointer files to all the pieces of a particular file.
    There are a number of those out there. I use the search function in newsleecher for a small monthly fee, but there are a lot of free ones available.

That's all there is to it basically. It's much faster than torrents and typically more private and you don't have to worry about upload/download ratios.

7. Apr 27, 2011 #7 of 1642
    ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
    If you still want to use torrents then try either uknova.com or thebox.bz. They are both excellent choices for UK originated shows. I've been a member of both for several years now and never gotten a nastygram from my isp about using them.

8. Apr 27, 2011 #8 of 1642
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Go clean your room and turn off the computer!!

9. Apr 27, 2011 #9 of 1642
    Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio
    http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide

http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/Tutorial.html

http://lifehacker.com/5601586/how-to-get-started-with-usenet-in-three-simple-steps

http://mantup.com/

Here is a quick start guide.

You will need to pay for a premium usenet provider. There are two kinds of usenet accounts. One is unlimited. You pay a monthly fee (as low as $9.99) and you are allowed to download as much as you want without limits.

The second one is when you prepay for a certain amount of Gigs.They are called Block Accounts. For example you could pay a one time fee of $20 for 200 gigs of download credit. Those 200 gigs don't expire and can be used anytime you wish without loosing them from inactivity. Everything you download is subtracted from that 200 gigs until you have used them all up. When you used them up you would have to buy more usenet block credit. If your not a heavy down loader then a Block account might be cheaper for you. Block accounts are one off charges and don't expire. They can be made to last months or years depending how much you download. They are good to use when getting started using usenet.

I use an usenet provider called Blocknews.net for my usenet block accounts. Great prices and customer service.

http://www.blocknews.net/

5 GBs - $2.75!
    10 GBs - $4.50!
    25 GBs - $8.50!
    50 GBs - $11.79!
    100 GBs - $14.69!
    200 GBs - $21.59!
    500 GBs - $51.49!
    1,024 GBs - $91.39!

Another thing about usenet is the ability to use SSL encryption when downloading from usenet servers. So, not even your ISP will know what your downloading.

If you decide to go for unlimited I recommend an usenet providers called "Astraweb.com" and "Usenetnow.net". Both charge around $11-12 a month for unlimited.

Stay away from Giganews. They are very very expensive. There are many cheaper alternatives that provide good service.

The learning curve for usenet is slightly more then torrents but once you get the basic down it's a breeze. With usenet you download at max speed immediately and all the time. No ratios to worry about and much safer.

10. Apr 27, 2011 #10 of 1642
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    You realize for $10 a month he can get a netflix account and watch this streaming (if available)

Man, usenet used to be easy. Your ISP gave you the account as part of your package and then off you went to leech as much illegal stuff as you wanted :)

11. Apr 27, 2011 #11 of 1642
    Malcontent

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio
    Far more content on usenet and almost always arrives on usenet before Netflix. In addition to TV and movies, there are video games and computer software and music, ebooks, audio books.

12. Apr 27, 2011 #12 of 1642
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    That's a big caveat...

13. Apr 27, 2011 #13 of 1642
  14. Apr 27, 2011 #14 of 1642
    Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    :up: On Blocknews and Usenetnow (same peeps but caters to different market setments for usenet). An additional bonus for those guys is that takedown notices are few and far between. Giganews, a big usenet provider, gets them quite frequently so completing DLs of older shows can be a hassle.

15. Apr 27, 2011 #15 of 1642
    Casual

Casual Member

Jun 18, 2007
    http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide

YW

This helped me big time. I was one of the first ppl in my group of friends to leave torrents for usenet (7 years ago). This guide will teach you everything you need to know.

16. Apr 27, 2011 #16 of 1642
    Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I use usenetserver.com as my usenet provider. I've been using them for like 8-10 years. In the beginning, they were a little shakey, but have been rock solid for years. I think I pay $35-40 every 3 months for service. They used to only be $10/month. I was fine with the price increase as they are very reliable, fast and keep a lot of history.

I've been using GrabIT as my binary extractor for a number of years on PC. I use Unison on my MacBook. GrabIT has a search feature that they charge like $20 a year for. From within GrabIT, I do a search like "Doctor Who x264" and it shows me everything. I then just download which episode I want. GrabIT also automatically merges the RAR files if you download at least one PAR file.

According to Comcast, I downloaded 241 GB of data last month. A lot of that was off usenet. I rarely use bit torrent.

I do like seeing this thread as I see some interesting stuff to try.

17. Apr 27, 2011 #17 of 1642
    jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

May 19, 2004
    San...
    usenet/newsgroup is old school. download the video files directly instead. PM if you want to know where.

18. Apr 27, 2011 #18 of 1642
    Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Has bit torrent been around 7 years already? Time flies!!

19. Apr 27, 2011 #19 of 1642
    Roommate

Roommate New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Others have covered the basics of getting set up, so I will just add that in addition to SABnzbd that IndyJones1023 mentioned, you should look into a program called Sick Beard, which will allow you to set up shows to watch for and automatically download when they appear (like a TiVo!). Sick Beard + SABnzbd + XBMC + HTPC = pure happiness.

20. Apr 27, 2011 #20 of 1642
    Malcontent

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio
    For dead simple Windows usenet client that will handle all the basics try 'Unzbin'. It's free. It's good for people just starting to learn usenet. While Sabnzbd is better, it's more complicated to set up. At least at first. "Unzbin" might be a better start to get your feet wet.

http://www.unzbin.com/