1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody else watching "the Exes" on TV land?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by omnibus, Jul 19, 2012.

1. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    This is one of the sitcoms I look forward to lately. It's on at 8:30 MST.

Kristen Johnston (third rock from the sun)
    Donald Faison (scrubs)
    Wayne Knight (seinfeld)
    David Alan Basche (?)
    Kelly Stables (?)

3 exes live across the hall from their divorce lawyer/landlord, Kristen, and hilarity ensues. Very adult situations.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    We stumbled on it and have watched up to us losing TV Land.

The shows are corny and very predictable.

I'm not 100% sold on it, but my wife enjoys it.

Not even close to the quality of the shows the actors have been on before.

3. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I watch, and have watched since season 1. I like it. I tuned in for the cast. I really like Johnston and the rest of them, but I probably mostly tuned in for her.

It's a sitcom, so yeah it's kitschy and silly but it does entertain me. I don't ask as much from sitcoms as I ask from other types of shows.

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    It's one of TVLands "older demo" shows. They've been very successful with them. Started with Hot in Cleveland.

I like The Exes. Funny, decent enough acting, and there's something about Kristen Johnston that I can't not watch her. It's not that she's any kind of "model-type" beauty (she's not), but she has the most expressive face. I never watched Third Rock, so she's new to me.

The TVLand shows:

Hot In Cleveland: A
    Happily Divorced: B+
    The Exes: B
    The Soul Man: C
    Retired at 35: D

Coincidentally, I dropped The Soul Man tonight. It's been ok, but tonight used such an old gimmick that I deleted the ep and the SP on the spot. I refuse to watch shows when the writers resort to cheap gimmickry, without at least attempting to freshen it up, add some newness.

5. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm still watching all 5 of those sitcoms. I suppose Retired At 35 is the worst of the bunch, but I like Segal and Walters - we'll see how long I last this season.

I watch the Soul Man mostly because I like Niecy Nash. Not sure why, but I like her.

Of course I like Happily Divorced because I love Fran. I also love Rita Moreno as her mother.

I also started watching Hot In Cleveland, since season 1, because I really like all the women in the cast.

I'm kinda easy when it comes to sitcoms but if something stops appealing to me I'm out in a hot second. :)

6. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Donald Faison's character does his "I don't have to pay no more" dance after being reminded that he can stop paying alimony. Then later, he has to decide whether to tell his ex-wife that she's being two timed and he will probably have to pay again.

That to me was some great comedy writing and acting.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I gave it more eps than it deserved, because of those two. Especially her. But the writing was soooo bad.

Great cast. Makes what could be a second rate show really funny. All of them, from the husband to Cesar. Rita Moreno is gold.

QFT. My fave of the bunch. These women could sit around eating PB&J sandwiches and I'd be in.

8. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Stuart - Oh yeah, I forgot about Cesar. Love him! I found many gems in this show, considering I just tuned in for Fran D. I know - a lot of people cannot stand her. I just adore her and always have. The rest of the great cast is a wonderful bonus.

9. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    I hadn't heard about this show, but checked it out. Not bad. Not best comedy on TV type quality, but decent enough to keep me entertained for sure.

10. jimmyjjohn

jimmyjjohn New Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Hi

If I run across it I'll watch it....I prefer men at work or Sullivan and son

Thanks!

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Hi spammer, thanks for playing!

12. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    That post was legit and on topic.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member